Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Railing challenge

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
FinearcLtd
355 Views, 4 Replies

Railing challenge

I am trying to create the railing that I need but keep failing in doing so. I attach the railing test file. I fail to join the floors. Whenever I try to join the railings in the rail path one of them detaches itself from the host and turns horizontal. Furthermore, the top rail refuses to be selected and edited.

Anyone knows what am I doing worng if at all?

thank you,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
FinearcLtd
in reply to: FinearcLtd

In the meantime I figured out that the selection problem was related to having pinned object selection turned off. The other problem remains usloved.
Message 3 of 5
Alfredo_Medina

You have uploaded a model, but I think you should show a picture or sketch specifying what the desired result is.

Railings are trickly, and the railing tool in Revit has, indeed, limitations. In cases where you can't do more with the railing tool, try to complete the work with other tools such as families with sweeps or extrusions.

In regards to joints at the floors and landings, it helps if the flights of the stairs are staggered, as shown in this image, because when the flights are like this the railing can make the u-turn at the same height at the landing. Otherwise, you end up with two different heights, producing some conditions that are not visually pleasant as the joints you are showing in your model. (This suggestion is, of course, more an architectural solution than a software solution).

3-25-2014 12-03-45 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 5
FinearcLtd
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you Alfred for your suggestions. This is still not a solution to my problem. The fact that joining the rail path causes undesired results is something for the development team to deal with. Designing architecture according to sofware limitations is absurd in an age where computer technology allows for limitless architectural design.  as for images here they are:

before joining:

1.jpg

after joining:

2.jpg

Message 5 of 5
Alfredo_Medina

I was not suggesting to adapt the design to software limitation. I was just mentioning that the staggered flights of the stair help in obtaining a better solution at the landing. That will happen with or without software. Anyway, about the specific problem: if that part of the railing becomes flat, then do it as an independent railing, not part of the same sketch. It becomes flat usually when the sketch of the railing is out of the stairs in plan view; you could try to move it inside and adjust its position with the offset parameter. I see some other handrails that seem to have the wrong height, too.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report