Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT 2014 ON WINDOWS 8.1

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
sanch104
5814 Views, 36 Replies

REVIT 2014 ON WINDOWS 8.1

Hey Autodesk Community,

Ive been having problems with Revit 2014 on windows 8.1. Ive recently partitioned my macbook pro with retina display and installed windows 8.1 and I noticed that it does not allow me to save any work that I have done. Also the ribbon at the top disappears and have wave my mouse over it to see it. In addition, the bottom right hand corner flickers on and off and I need to use revit for my project thats due in 3 weeks! SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
BIMologist_
in reply to: sanch104

I have Revit 2014 running on Windows 8.1 fine

few things you can do

1. Make sure the latest patch in installed. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/revit-architec...

2. Make sure the correct Graphics Driver / Latest on is installed for your Retina . I take there are drivers from Apple too? if not install the nvidia drivers.

3. Try turning off Hardware acceleration in the Options but that has to do with the drawing window and not the interface.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 3 of 37
sanch104
in reply to: BIMologist_

ive tried all those and tried installing the newest patch but this warning keeps appearing. ive attached a picture of the warning box.

Message 4 of 37
DarrenP

what update did you download?

Revit 2014 Update Release 2

Revit Architecture 2014 Update Release 2

there are 4 revit products each with its own update

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 37
sanch104

I used the Revit 2014 Update Release 2. Im still having the same issues. My save menu wont appear when I try to save my work. After a minute or two it crahses and then I have to reboot my macbook.

Message 6 of 37
BIMologist_

can you try one more thing? http://www.winhelp.us/low-resolution-video-vga-mode-in-windows.html scroll down to Getting into low-resolution video mode in Windows 8 and 8.1 Reboot windows in VGA mode and see if the problem happen. you screen resolution will be extremely low. atleast try that and check . I am trying to narrow down whether it is the graphics driver or something else Please let me know

BIMologist / Dr. Revit

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 7 of 37
sanch104

okay i followed the instructions on the website and all the problems i had before seem to be fixed, at least so far. Thank you so much for being patient and with me and thank you for all your help! 

Message 8 of 37
BIMologist_

So this narrows down the issue. The video driver is the problem. I am not sure which MBP you have. Intel Iris Pro Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching I would try to update both the drivers Intel and Nvidia . It might be tricky since the optimus drivers are non cooperating sometimes. Try the NVidia drivers from here. http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/73784 do a custom install select Clean install. If the Nvidia drivers do not work on your MacBook let me know . There is a way to force them to install. You can install the new Windows 8.1 update and check the issue as well.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit

EESignature

Message 9 of 37
HuubAdeHaas

I also have a big problem with Revit!

I can launch the program without any problems, but if I open any file (or the standard file) i can't use them.

On the left side (in my case) you have the project browser bar, if I try to open an other view it just doesn't load annything. The only thing i see is white.

Only the view that is opened automatically first i can see. And even there i can't do annything. I can't draw a detailline, Ican't make a wall, I can't measure annything and so on...

Just NOTHING workes.

This are my laptop specs:

Dell XPS 15

Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GT 750M (2GB)  & Intel HD Graphics 4000 (for powersaving)

16 GB RAM (I know its huge for a laptop)

i7 Intel processor 4th generation.

3200x1800 screen with touch (I also turned resolution down to 1920x1080 but that doesn't help)

As you can see it's suppost to be a very very powerfull laptop. And most of the time it is, but still Revit is a big problem.

Please help me!

By the way I have already tried a lot of things: such as updating/reïnstalling drivers, reïnstalling Revit (2013, 2014 and even 2015, all the same problem).

Message 10 of 37
tobiseun97
in reply to: HuubAdeHaas

Hello, I am having the exact same problem as you have. I have the exact same computer with the same specs (Dell XPS, Intel i7, Nvidia GT 750M 2GB, 16 GB RAM) and I can't get Revit 2014 to work properly. I have tried messing with the drivers and installing 2013 and 2015 with not luck. Always having flashing at the bottom right corner of the Revit window, as well as a blue bar on the top left corner over another toolbar. If anyone has a solution that would be great!
Message 11 of 37
jmk3

Problem with Dell M3800 Nvidia K1100M, QHD, 16 Gb ram, two drives, one SSL. Windows 8.1+1. Revit 2015 and Revit 2014 rapidly blinking windows at the bottom. Model dont display in diferent views. I have tried all possible drivers. I use: Nvidia 337.50. First i forced Revit to use only the High Performance Grafic card "Nvidia K1100m". Everything worked out fine. Then I switched back to Intel, as primary grafic card. And the problem was solved. Strange?

Jan Munthe-Kaas

Veteran Autocad 2.6 (1989)----Revit 2015 (2014).

Message 12 of 37
jmk3
in reply to: tobiseun97

Problem with Dell M3800 Nvidia K1100M, QHD, 16 Gb ram, two drives, one SSL. Windows 8.1+1. Revit 2015 and Revit 2014 /15 rapidly blinking windows at the bottom. Model dont display in diferent views. I have tried all possible drivers. I use: Nvidia 337.50. First i forced Revit to use only the High Performance Grafic card "Nvidia K1100m". 

Right click on that shortcut, select the "Run with graphics processor ->" menu, and select "High-performance NVIDIA processor."

..Everything worked out fine. Strange? Jan Munthe-Kaas Veteran Autocad 2.6 (1989)----Revit 2015 (2014).

Message 13 of 37
tobiseun97

Hi Jmk,

I have tried using the high performance graphics card setting and it does not solve the problem. I have tried with just the Intel card which solves the problem, however it's two weak to run more than the smallest of models.

TThus has led me to believe that the drivers on my Nvidia GT 750M aren't compatible with Revit 2014, as it hasn't been tested officially. However I am hoping there is a another way to get the drivers working.
Message 14 of 37
odurier
in reply to: jmk3

Hi,

I have the same problem with nvidia K1100M on windows 8.1 (Revit 2014 and 2015)

Many actions cause the blinking of the user interface. No dialog box open.

I didn't find a solution even if our graphic card is certified on this configuration

Help Autodesk. Help

Message 15 of 37
odurier

Hi,

I found the problem.

In my configuration (nvidia quadro K1100m card + resolution 3200x1800 (recommended), if i use a very high (200% default) height for all element on the desktop the blinking mode of revit 2015 is enabled 🙂

The max height for me is high (150%) --> see attached file

Message 16 of 37
BIMologist_
in reply to: jmk3

OP can you please test this recommendation from Contributor odurier and see if that fixes your issue?

BIMologist / Dr. Revit

EESignature

Message 17 of 37
tobiseun97
in reply to: odurier

Hello Odurier, I tried lowering the magnification, all the way down to the minimum while on the native 3200x1800 resolution. None of these options worked. I tested them in different combinations while force running Revit 2014 on the Nvidia card (nothing solved the issue). I tried an external monitor and this did not help either. I am in desperate need of help as I need this software to work for my job next week. This laptop is very expensive and I know it can work (hopefully). Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have any other recommendations?
Message 18 of 37
michael.earley

I have the same issue as tobiseun97. Revit 2014 will work on the Windows 7 partition but Revit 2014 and 2015 have the same flickering effect on Windows 8.1 Pro. The laptop is a Dell M3800, graphics Card is a K1100m and the operating system is Windows 8.1 Pro. Painful as the laptop was purchased mainly for Revit.

Message 19 of 37

The problem is most likely the desktop scaling. Revit will have issues with the Ribbon, Quick Acces Toolbar and the Optionbar if the scaling is set to high.

Open “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display”

Change the display scaling to a maximum of 150% (set it to a value between 100% and 150%)

(You might have to check the box “Let me choose one scaling for all my displays” to see that actual value)

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 20 of 37

There is also another possible issue on some systems (GeForce, Mac Retina).

Even if you turn off hardware acceleration in Revit, the Application frame (Ribbon, QAT) will still run with HA and that can cause issues on some non-workstation graphics.

You can turn off hardware acceleration for the Application frame (but still use it in Revit) by a registry setting.

Attached you will find a zip-file with two registry files:

-> unpack it somewhere on your system.

-> Double click on then file “Disable RibbonHA.reg” and select to import it to your registry.

The file contains one setting that will disable the Microsoft Avalon graphics.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics]

"DisableHWAcceleration"=dword:00000001

Lars-Ake Johansson
Sr. SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report