Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REVIT 2009 x32 Tutorial Installation Help + Windows 7 x64 Ultimate upgrade

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
MRickert
1479 Views, 12 Replies

REVIT 2009 x32 Tutorial Installation Help + Windows 7 x64 Ultimate upgrade

I am trying to install the Tutorials for REVIT 2009 32-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit with Ultimate upgrade which has the XP compatiblility mode. When I click on "Tutorials" from the REVIT program side bar I get a Help Window which gives one set of intructions and a link. The Link gives you a page with a different set of instructions and a comment about special instructions as to which folder you need to downlaod to if you are a Vista User, but no instructions on which path / folder you should download to if you are a Windows 7 user. I got the "tutorial.exe" file to install I think. NOTE: I am refering to the Imperial Tutorial files 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4, and 4 of 4. I am in the 4th week of an 8-week Autodesk REVIT class and still cannot get anyone to answer my question.

I have read a lot of posts on different threads regarding the compatibility of using Autodesk products with Windows 7 and I have not seen anyone from Autodesk post anything other than Autodesk products have not been confirmed to work with Windows 7. I will post what I have been told to this point (whether rightly or wrongly) and hope someone can clarify whether this is "True" or "False".

I was told Windows 7 Home Premium is 64-bit and can only run 64-bit applications. If you need to run 32-bit applications then you need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have downloaded Autodesk REVIT 2009 32-bit and I have not encountered a single error, but I am having issues installing the tutorials. As I stated above the Help instructions tell you to go into the existing files and remove the check next to the "read only" first, then go to the link. The link give a different set of instructions, with a "note" to Windows Vista users, but nothing for Windows 7 users (nor which version of Windows 7) on the correct path to download to for installation.

Anyone with solid knowledge about this please send me a detailed reply to Michael_Rickert@insideranken.org (Ranken Technical College). Your help would be greatly appreciated because the course ends in 4 weeks.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
vector2
in reply to: MRickert

well i'm probably not a "solid knowledge" guy-

but i can tell you some things while you are
waiting for one of those kind to come along..

you said: "but no instructions on which path / folder
you should download to if you are using Windows 7"

i don't remember- but i have a feeling that happened
to me too..

and i guess what i did was just go ahead and download
it without knowing where it was going- and when i started
looking around for it- i found a folder entitled "downloads"..

i guess it was just a gut feeling i had- but i opened that
downloads folder- and low-and-behold there it was..

now i just download anything from anywhere and it
just seems to go right into that downloads folder like a
duck going to the water..

kinds of nice actually.. and i'm finding more and more
that windows 7 is very very smart..

then you said: "Autodesk products have not been
confirmed to work with Windows 7" ?

trust me- windows 7 knows how to work your
grandma's sewing machine no matter how
old or new it is..

ultimate-
home premium-
professional-
all the same..

BTW- everyone reading this who has not
yet got win7- DO NOT get the upgrade..

and DON'T pay more than $140 for the
professional..

or for those who don't know anything
about hardware- just get a new computer
with win7 on it..
Message 3 of 13
MRickert

Thanks for the reply. I did purchase a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on it but I was told that I needed to upgrade to either Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate in order to run 32-bit applications in XP mode. That is also what the comparison chart on the side of the box stated. I was not upgrading from Windows Vista or Windows XP. Sorry for the confusion on that point.

I did try what you stated aout downloading to the "download" folder but when I tried "unzipping" it I kept getting an error message cannot create path C:\Program Files\REVIT Architecture 2009\Programs. The download instruction state for Windows Vista users to "download" to a specific path because the automatic path given is incorrect, and they give no instructions for Windows 7 users at all.

I would think Autodesk would update their download instruction sheet on their web link to reflect Windows 7 users, but they have not. I have been trying to get an answer for 2 weeks now.

Anyone else having this problem I would love to hear your solution. As I stated in my previous post I got the Imperial "tutorial.exe" installed but I am having trouble with the "training files" 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4 and 4 of 4. Please let me know. I am in the 4th week of an 8 week REVIT 2009 class and this class will be over before I get this issue resolved.
Message 4 of 13
MRickert

I tried to "download" the REVIT 2009 "trainging files" 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 to both "desktop" and to "download" folder and in both cases when I tried to "unzip" I recieved the error message "Cannot Create C:\Documents and Setting\All Users" - unzip operation cancelled. I still need help getting these REVIT 2009 32-bit tutorials installed on a Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate upgrade OS. Please read my previous post for full details.
Message 5 of 13
vector2

i just downloaded 2009 1 - 4 and it
went to my downloads folder and then
i went there and clicked on the zipped
folder and told it to unzip to C:..
and then on C: there is a folder
called "imperial".. that's it..

of course there are some minor
differences between the different
versions of win7 or else people
would call microsoft a fraud..
(like they have before-lol)

ultimate has some home
entertainment stuff that pro
don't have.. (i really didn't
care to actually look)..

and professional is able to
deal with gobs and gobs more
memory- but i would not worry
much about that.. pro is also
the only one that has a full
blown copy of windows XP Sp3
built in- (maybe ultimate does too)..
but very very little stuff cannot
run in the 32 bit mode
in win 7 and actually needs
to run in XP.. but it's there
in the pro version just in case
you need it..

and of course you can see all
this stuff at the windows 7
comparison site.. infact you
can google windows XP mode
in windows 7 and read all about
it..

it doesn't sound like you are having
any serious problems..

just hit that browse button and tell
that zipper to unzip it to somewhere-
like maybe C: or something ..

see the image attached..
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Why are you not installing the 64-bit version of Revit 2009? If you are on
Subscription you can download it from the Subscription Center.

>I was told Windows 7 Home Premium is 64-bit and can only run 64-bit applications. If you need to run 32-bit applications then you need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

Find whomever told you this and hit them with something large and heavy.

It's not true. Any 64-bit version of Windows 7 will run both 32- and 64-bit
apps, largely without issue.

The person may be referring to "XP Mode," which is a feature only available on
Win7 Professional, which is a specialized version of Microsoft Virtual PC and
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (you can download both from Microsoft). It basically
allows you to - freely - install XP SP3 as a Virtual Machine where you can
install any application or device which cannot run under Windows 7 x64. Some
older hardware may be rendered obsolete because the mfr decided not to continue
64-bit driver support, which is required for all devices under a 64-bit OS.

>I have read a lot of posts on different threads regarding the compatibility of using Autodesk products with Windows 7 and I have not seen anyone from Autodesk post anything other than Autodesk products have not been confirmed to work with Windows 7. I will post what I have been told to this point (whether rightly or wrongly) and hope someone can clarify whether this is "True" or "Fals

Generally speaking, anything that is compatible with Vista will run on Windows 7
fine. Revit is actually excellent on the Windows 7 x64 platform. I've been
running 64-bit Revit 2009/2010 on 7 since early Beta without issue, except for
nVidia drivers which were also beta.

> I have downloaded Autodesk REVIT 2009 32-bit and I have not encountered a single error, but I am having issues installing the tutorials.

The instructions for installing the Revit tutorials are there and do work - you
just need to follow the instructions for Windows Vista which are the same for
Win7.

In particular the 2009 tutorial EXEs will attempt to extract the tutorials to a
Windows XP folder (c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Autodesk\RAC 2009\Training) instead of the appropriate Vista folder
(c:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RAC 2009\Training).

Matt
matt@stachoni.com

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:45:54 +0000, MRickert <> wrote:

>I am trying to install the Tutorials for REVIT 2009 32-bit on a Windows 7 64-bit with Ultimate upgrade which has the XP compatiblility mode. When I click on "Tutorials" from the REVIT program side bar I get a Help Window which gives one set of intructions and a link. The Link gives you a page with a different set of instructions and a comment about special instructions as to which folder you need to downlaod to if you are a Vista User, but no instructions on which path / folder you should download to if you are a Windows 7 user. I got the "tutorial.exe" file to install I think. NOTE: I am refering to the Imperial Tutorial files 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4, and 4 of 4. I am in the 4th week of an 8-week Autodesk REVIT class and still cannot get anyone to answer my question.
>
>I have read a lot of posts on different threads regarding the compatibility of using Autodesk products with Windows 7 and I have not seen anyone from Autodesk post anything other than Autodesk products have not been confirmed to work with Windows 7. I will post what I have been told to this point (whether rightly or wrongly) and hope someone can clarify whether this is "True" or "False".
>
>I was told Windows 7 Home Premium is 64-bit and can only run 64-bit applications. If you need to run 32-bit applications then you need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.
>
> I have downloaded Autodesk REVIT 2009 32-bit and I have not encountered a single error, but I am having issues installing the tutorials. As I stated above the Help instructions tell you to go into the existing files and remove the check next to the "read only" first, then go to the link. The link give a different set of instructions, with a "note" to Windows Vista users, but nothing for Windows 7 users (nor which version of Windows 7) on the correct path to download to for installation.
>
>Anyone with solid knowledge about this please send me a detailed reply to Michael_Rickert@insideranken.org (Ranken Technical College). Your help would be greatly appreciated because the course ends in 4 weeks.
Message 7 of 13
ess_g

Cant find another question on Revit2009 x32 and windows 7 x64, so I though I would run it here...

I'm in the process of buying a laptop and to load my Revit 2009 Arch x32, so that I can take projects out to site. I'm not a subscriber and cant at this stage upgrade to 2010 or 2011 so I cant download the x64.

Will 2009 x32 work on a Window 7 x 64 machine

Thanks
Ess
Message 8 of 13
Bimguy

The response is in Matt's post, already.

Ess asked:

>Will 2009 x32 work on a Window 7 x 64 machine?

Matt Stachoni wrote:

>Any 64-bit version of Windows 7 will run both 32- and 64-bit apps.
Message 9 of 13
ess_g

> {quote:title=Bimguy wrote:}{quote}

>
> Matt Stachoni wrote:

> >Any 64-bit version of Windows 7 will run both 32- and 64-bit apps.

Thanks Bimguy, I saw that but was a bit concerned about the "Any 64-bit version of Windows 7 will run both 32- and 64-bit apps, largely without issue"

I cant afford to buy the PC and then find that I do have issues that cant be resolved.... so that is why I'm trying to find out if anyone has uses Revit 2009 32bit without problems, and if there had been problems, were they resolvable.

Cheers
Ess
Message 10 of 13
Bimguy

I see your point (about "largely without issue") .
Well, let's wait to see what Matt meant by that. Stick around...
Message 11 of 13
vector2

> "largely without issue"

without ANY issue..
Message 12 of 13
ess_g

Thanks vector2...Much appreciated...will go ahead and order the Laptop.

Cheers
Ess
Message 13 of 13
vector2

"largely without issue"- are valid words- at least
in a technically infinite sense..

but for all practical purposes- "without any issue"-
is more useful..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report