Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question from a ACA user

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Oilymo
443 Views, 6 Replies

Question from a ACA user

I have had a couple of demos on Revit and I am still left asking a very simple question. I part run a business in the UK that concentrates on producing building plans for domestic extensions (mainly). We currently use ACA but are being pushed towards Revit which I don't mind but (and this is my question) is there an easier way to create a window or door bearing in mind every house we visit/draw has a different window style arrangement etc.?

I understand the way revit works however it appears to be pitched towards designing from scratch.

All answers gratefully received

Ben
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bt1138
in reply to: Oilymo

I think it depends on how unusual the window shapes are. If they are primarily rectangular, I suspect that once you have a library built up that you'll be fine with Revit. But there is no analog in the 'standard' Revit windows to being able to add/delete mullions from a simple dialog in the style.

It is possible to build a revit family that has the option to add/delete mullions dynamically, but building them is going take a little time. The attached pdf has a procedure for building a custom door that includes a lot of the steps for something like that (and a lot of other advanced stuff). It's not simple, but I suppose after you build a few, it won't seem so hard.

On the other hand, really odd windows may be eaiser to make in Revit that ADT, because you do build them from scratch, and ADT does not work too well when you need a odd type it didn't include.
Message 3 of 7
Oilymo

Thanks for the answer. It's as I suspected.

Have you seen the UK Content for ADT/ACA? It's an incredibly powerful tool that allows us to create any window of any size and shape. This I fear will be the reason we will not move away from our current platform.
Message 4 of 7
vector2

well whatever your "powerful tool" is that creates windows in
your 26 year old program- i bet those windows will be just blocks
of lines with no intelligence.. those kind of windows won't know who
they are or how to relate to anything else..

also- don't look now- but your 26 year old "platform" is moving away from you..
Message 5 of 7
noahma

before you start another ACA vs. Revit pissing content, please remember both tools bring the same results.

Information for you, Yes ACA windows know they are window, you can attach any information you wish to them. ACA is NOT 26 years old, Autocad is 26.

both programs are good, both accomplish the same objectives. I prefer ACA to Revit, it is just my personal preference, but I do know how to use both.
Message 6 of 7
jmcintyre

Is that a sneer I detect in your typing?
ADT1 was released in October 1998
Revit1 was released in April 2000
So yes, ADT/ACA is older than Revit, but not by much.
Message 7 of 7
Oilymo

Thanks for all the answers and please do not think this is another argument for either platform.

Every time I meet/speak with Adesk they push one platform under my nose. As previously said after a number of demos it doesn't do want I want it to, my current platform does and it is this that keeps my wife in the lifestyle she has become accustomed to. End of!

Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report