Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pylon for a bridge

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2724 Views, 4 Replies

Pylon for a bridge

Hi

The past few days I've been trying to draw a pylon for a bridge that looks like an A-frame in front view and has an "Λ" shape in the side view. Therefore, I need the pylon to have a curvature in both planes. But, I dont know how because it isn't letting me modify it in two elevations. Is there anything similar out there like a video/ tutorial that can help me do this. If you could please help me, it is urgent!

I've added an image as an attachment for you to see what I'm talking about.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

I think the best method is to do it as a Family - Structural Column as a parametric element and then load it into the project.

The steps:

1. In Family make first a box by Extrusion with parametric dimensions : Width, Depth, Height
  2. Then in Front View make an Extruded Void to cut after one of the profiles- apply Cut
  3. and then in Left View the other profile to cut the box after the other profile - apply Cut
  4. load the resulted family into the project

My pillar looks very bad...but you have to look at the method....

1Image 16.png

Image 10.png

Image 11.png

Image 12.png

Image 13.png

Image 14.png

Image 15.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

I would do this starting from a generic model adaptive template. Some reference planes in plan view determine what is Left, Center, and Right. In elevation, some points determine the path of the arc. The upper points need to be hosted by the Center reference plane, to form a flat arc. The lower points are hosted by other reference planes to form the slanted arcs, or legs. Splines are created following these points. Then a circular profile is extruded, one by one in all the splines. Points, reference planes, and profile could be controlled by parameters, to drive the form.

11-21-2013 8-41-26 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 5

Hi Alfredo, 

I agree whith you ,with only one small change:

You said:

"Then a circular profile is extruded, one by one in all the splines." 

I think that it will be bettter to use  a swept blend so to have not only a circular profile but a section that varies in size from bottom to top of the curve ( for instance from a rectangle in bottom to a circular smaller profile in the top...). If this "column" is made of concrete, surely its sectional shape varies from bottom to top

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Yes. Once the skeleton is done, the section profiles can vary. Since we didn´t have any information about the section, I used a constant circular profile, as if the arch was made of round steel pipes.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report