Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to draw with revit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
toke.kivit
1685 Views, 4 Replies

Proper way to draw with revit

Hi,

I'm working with Revit since one month.

I'm at an internship abroad (Ireland) and my teachers here are working with revit for 1 year.

They teached me to draw a wall, just a simple wall, and then you can edit this wall and name the right materials (brick, insulation, cavity, brick..or something like this) and then you have walls and floors with the right build up, in it's whole.
But now my teacher from Belgium said that I need to draw every different material from the wall seperate. So, first draw the inner bricks, than the insulation,... That you draw like 4 walls with different materials next to each other to create a wall.

What is the proper way to do it? .. The first is ofcourse the fastest. But how do they do it in the at an office?

I came to this question because I couldn't make the correct foundation detail. If you draw the walls in one than you can't make them like it should be done in real. Only with detail lines and callouts you can show how it has to be done (...told my teacher..)
If you would draw all the layers seperatly, you could tell wich had to be go till the end and which had to stop on the concrete slab.
In the details attached you can see what I try to explain (in my ****y english :D)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LisaDrago
in reply to: toke.kivit

Hello and Welcome to the Discussion!!

For modeling walls - you would want to create (1) wall with all the appropriate layers. That is the right way to model a wall.

You do have controls that will allow you to pull different layers beyond the others.... see image Wall Assembly.

You need to make sure you are in a section view of the wall. then Click Modify and then click on the bottom line of the material you need to pull down and click the padlock to unlock it.

One caveat - you can only unlock material that are right next to each other. You can unlock more then one if needed.

The Wall 1 image shows what it would look like - I unlocked three layers - you can see the two arrows - I can pull either one down.

Not this would be big picture... if there are areas like in your detail that shows only a half portion of material - then you can use filled regions and line work to clean it up. But you can acomplish a lot before getting to the detail level.

You can do all the layers as separate walls - but that is a lot more work... Plus you have to join them if you put a window or door in so it cuts through each material... it just seems like more work then what is really necessary.

So that is my opnion...for what ever it is worth...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 5
toke.kivit
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thanks a lot! This information is what I needed.

I also find an other way to do it, but it takes a lot of time too.. You can click the parts-tool and then adjust the walls and floors to the right length.

Regards, 

Toke

Message 4 of 5
LisaDrago
in reply to: toke.kivit

Yes - you can certainly part the wall if you needed to.

it comes down to what process do you want to work.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 5 of 5
toke.kivit
in reply to: LisaDrago

New problem..

I made my drawing by creating parts and drag them (lenght) to the place I want.

But it only changes in the view where I did it (section view).. Is it possible to have this in all the views?

I also want to make a quantity survey of my project. But is there a kind of tool as the "subtract" tool from autocad..so that I can subtract my floor from the bearing wall, that it doesn't count this area of bricks in the quantity survey?

Thanks in advance,

Toke

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report