Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem copying fixture in certain types of ceiling.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ToanDN
518 Views, 13 Replies

Problem copying fixture in certain types of ceiling.

Revit Architecture 2013/2014

I cannot copy any ceiling hosted fixture in any types of ceiling other than the ACT types.  It always gives the infamous "Can't cut instance(s) of [fixture] out of its host." then places the copied instance on the same spot as the original, at best.  Create similar and mirror still work, though.

Upon study, I found the lack of a surface pattern on the finish material is most likely the culprit.  Hence, I do have some workarounds to oversome this problem based on that finding.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Is so, is there any official fix?

Thanks,

-Toan.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
subhra_civil
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi,

Can you send your file pls????

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

India

Kolkata

Message 3 of 14
ToanDN

I don't have Revit right now but you can try with any out of the box GWB or Generic ceilings.
Message 4 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

It sounds as if the family is set to automatically cut the ceiling, and when you apply it to a ceiling that does have thickness, it works, but if you try to put in a ceiling whose type is "plain" it doesn't work because that type doesn't have thickness.

More specific information about the family or ceiling types involved, would help.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for answering but I don't think your assumption is accurate.  The GWB ceiling has thickness as well.  As I already mentioned, placing component directly, mirroring, and creating similar work normally.  Only the copy command does not work.

Please see the attached.  Everything is OOTB.

Message 6 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

It is strange, but those ceiling entities in this project are corrupted. I tested all other possible reasons, and could not find anything wrong. But for some reason those ceilings are not being recognized as a valid host for an architectural supply diffuser family. I deleted the ceilings and made them again, without doing any other changes, and now all the fixtures can be placed and copied without any problem.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 14
ToanDN

I could not replicate how you fix it.  Would you post the file?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

I simply deleted the ceilings and made them again with automatic sketch, then I put the air terminals again, and everything worked as normal. Sorry I didn't save it. Please try that and let us know if that works.

Message 9 of 14
ToanDN

That was exactly what I have just tried. It did not work for any ceiling hosted components, not just the diffuser. Practically, it is not a huge problem for me because I have workarounds for it, and/or use other creation methods. But for other folks in my office, who are very accustomed to AutoCAD operation, it annoys them very much.

Message 10 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

Attached is a file that I created from scratch. Please try to copy the fixtures in the gypsum board ceiling.

Message 11 of 14
ToanDN

Adding the surface pattern fixed it and it is a workaround.  Did you add it or it comes with the OOTB ceiling type?  Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

I added the surface pattern to the properties of the ceiling.

Message 13 of 14
ToanDN

Thanks. That is also my workaround. I had to edit the ceiling types, add some surface pattern, and change its color to white. It's a fairly easy fix once you know the root of the problem. Still, I stand by my statement that AutoDesk should be fixing it permanently for non patterned ceiling types.
Message 14 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

I am not sure if the presence of the pattern on the ceiling is the reason. This is a strange case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report