Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud & Revit

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
LisaDrago
4453 Views, 12 Replies

Point Cloud & Revit

I am in need of information about bring in a laser scan point cloud into revit arch.

I see there was a post back in 2008 about it but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

Does anyone know how to do this?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
loboarch
in reply to: LisaDrago

Revit does not have a way to directly consume point cloud files.  You would have to  first translate into a DWG or DXF and then import.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 13
LisaDrago

Is there any documentation on how to do this?

Thank you,

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 4 of 13
loboarch

Not that I know of.  Smiley Sad  I don't know enough about point clouds myself to give any meaningful advice.  Maybe someoen esle has some sage words i can learn from as well?  Smiley Wink

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 13
LisaDrago

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have contacted Autodesk directly but they have not responded to it.

LD

Message 6 of 13
ryan.duell

I have added 2 additional resources to this thread:
AutoCAD 2011 Work with 3D Point Clouds
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2011\Help\filesAUG\WS1a9193826455f5ff-316fd70e123dece8002-7ef8.htm
Convert Point Clouds into Real Geometry in AutoCAD 2011
Thank you,

I have added 3 additional resources to this thread:

AutoCAD 2011 Work with 3D Point Clouds

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/ENU/filesAUG/WS1a9193826455f5ff-316fd70e123dece8002-7ef8.htm

Convert Point Clouds into Real Geometry in AutoCAD 2011

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2010/07/convert-point-clouds-into-real-geometry-in-autoc...

AutoCAD Point Cloud Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkdBaOaYHY0

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 7 of 13
LisaDrago

Thank you for the information!

LD

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Lisa,

Avatech/IMAGINiT released an application last week that allows you to take point cloud files (.pts and .ptx) and import into Autodesk Revit 2011 (for Architecture, Structure and MEP). Details here: http://www.avatech.com/ScanToBIM and you can request a free trial.

Disclaimer, I am the product manager for the Scan To BIM product. 🙂

Message 9 of 13
carlhoffstedt

Depending of what you need, there is also a free PTS->Revit App in the Revit AppStore at www.revitappstore.com where the PTS file can be imported into Revit. It is still in development but it works...

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Dear All,

an other way to work with pointcloud in revit is to convert the point cloud in scale picture (orthophoto). Picture are easy to import and handle in revit. A quick software for processing point cloud in scaled photo are PointCab. Details on www.pointcab-software.com

Eric

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hi All,

I am a Revit newbie, but a seasoned GIS professional, so pardon my cross-cultural misunderstandings.

I have been bringing point clouds into Revit for modeling, but have been having a hard time getting them placed.  I know the data's position in space - it has a set projection, but it seems everytime I bring in a point cloud, it can come in anyplace it wants, and any orientation before I pin it down.  It seems counter-intuitive given the exactness of the scan and precise nature of the modelling software that data ina  known space and projection can't just be brought in and automatically located.

So my first assumption: I am doing something wrong!

Anyone have any advice?  It seems to me that I should be able to coordinate the scan's projection information with the site details somehow.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Message 12 of 13
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

Make sure you have Update 1 for Revit 2012 installed. Go to this link and scroll down to the Get Started section. Download and install the update and try inserting your point clouds again.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=16841348

Thanks for posting.

Message 13 of 13
Michi-Ken

I have a Bob Ross DVD - he makes great happy little clouds....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report