Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pinned Elements Still Moving

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
kwhite
1218 Views, 2 Replies

Pinned Elements Still Moving

Revit 2015

Is anyone out there having any issues with pinned elements still moving?  We have a situation here where we are adjusting wall panels and in an elevation grip editing the panel length.  Model elements which are hosted on the face of the panels via a work plane are pinned and cannot be moved manually.  However, when grip editing the wall panels, elements are moving along with the grip edited face, even though they are not supposed to do this.  It seems as though the elements are maintaining a local coordinate system which is more important than the pinning.

A quick example would be a like picture on a wall.  The picture is pinned in place and cannot be moved.  When the wall is lengthened or made taller (not changed in relation to the coplanar face of picture/wall) the picture moves as well.  

In a typical project this is not a big issue because the changes may be immediately visible and easier to manage.  In our projects, we have thousands of these types of situations occurring.  Due to a late change by a client, we are forced to make small changes throughout the model and this is wreaking havoc on our work.

Any thoughts on keeping these pinned elements from moving would be helpful.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
cbcarch
in reply to: kwhite

You may need to constrain the wall-hosted (or face-based?) objects using a dimension inside the project and lock it. For example, if I have a wall sconce

which needs to be 8'-0" from centerline to the end of a wall, I could place a dimension and lock it. This way, the wall can be stretched/grip edited, but the sconce will remain 8'-0" from the end of the wall. Does this make sense?

Or it could be that inside the family, a dimension to a ref. plane could be placed with a parameter which would control the position when loaded into the project.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 3
kwhite
in reply to: cbcarch

Thanks for the quick reply.  

I have previously tried the dimension lock forcing a constraint to an edge of the wall and to other pinned elements like a grid.  It doesn't matter how many belts or suspenders I put on them, they continue to move.

Upon looking further it seems to be the difference in a Structural Framing Family and the Wall System Family.  When I host an element on a true wall system family, the editing of the wall element does not affect the pinned elements.  When editing the Structural Framing member, the pinned elements do not respect the pin. 

I will keep looking to see if I uncover a solution.

Keith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report