Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing problem

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ChuckEdwards
10975 Views, 8 Replies

Phasing problem

I'm finding a bizzare problem with phasing, could someone suggest where I'm going wrong.

I have three phases set up, and also design options. The phases I have set as Existing, Demolition, and New, and the design options can either be Existing which is set to none or demolished, or New which is simply option 1 (there may well be future design options to consider).

In my ground plan, I have for phase settings the existing on, and demolished on, I also have the Visibility/Graphics Overrides set so the existing phase option is shown. For some reason though nothing shows up, only the model section lines? The only way I can see anything is if I set the phase filter to show New, though if I do that, it shows the demolished, when the demolished is turned off?

Phasing filters seem to be set up correctly, see attached.

I have also found that where I have a view set to be New Phase, but using the same phasing filter Existing only, I actually see everything, here it seems to work correctly?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jkarben
in reply to: ChuckEdwards

1. You don't need a demolition phase. Demolitions is the first step of the given phase. Not a separate phase. So for your example you only need an Existing phase and a New Phase.

2. Set your Phase Filters back to the out of box settings (see attached).

3. Make sure elements are assigned the correct phase. You can draw existing items in a view with it's phase set to existing or select the element and change the phase created in it's properties.

4. For a demolition view that shows existing and demo set the view's phase to New Construction and the Phase Filter to Show Previous + Demo

Message 3 of 9
CoreyDaun

When settings up initial Views for an existing building, I recommend creating three Views per floor: Existing, Demo, and New, as described below.

View Phase Phase Filter Purpose
Existing Existing Show Complete Place/create all of the EXISTING elements here.
Demo New Construction Show Previous + Demo Designate the appropriate existing elements as DEMOLISHED.
New New Construction Show Previous + New Place/create all of the NEW elements here.
Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 9
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, I think I could do with an explanation of how the phases interact with Phase filters, as it is pretty obvious that they do.

To see the existing phase for example, with everything in solid, I have had to create a Phase filter as the attached image, and set the phase to be Demolished.

If I have the current phase as Existing however, with the same phase filter, I see nothing.

So what eactly is going on...?

I'd like to understand this better, I'm going to be training my office up at some point and need to get to grips with it first.

Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

The first concept to realize is the View's Phase. This defines the "current" point in time in which you are seeing the Project and only the elements that exist according to that time frame will be visible. For instance, if you set the current Phase to "Existing", you will only be able to see the existing elements regardless of what View Filter you may choose since the new elements don't exist yet.

Now, each element has a "Phase Created" and "Phase Demolished" setting which defines it existence in time. Say you are tearing out a wall and building a new wall in another location. You would select the existing wall and under Properties, set "Phase Demolished" to New Construction. This may seem deceptive at first, the the "New Construction" Phase does not mean "New Work Only". It represents ALL of the work being done for this project, including demo.

The Phase Filters control the display of the elements according to their Phase Created and Demolished parameters, so if a View is set to the New Construction Phase with the Phase Filter "Show Previous + New", then Revit will display all Existing to remain and New elements in this phase of the Project.

ChuckEdwards wrote:

"To see the existing phase for example, with everything in solid, I have had to create a Phase filter as the attached image, and set the phase to be Demolished."

This is not a good practice; the reason being that when you create a new model element in Revit, it automatically assumes the View's Current Phase as its Phase Created value. Meaning that if you were to create your existing walls in this View, they would default as new. Set the View's Phase to "Existing" and set the Phase Filter to "Show All" or "Show Complete". It doesn't matter which.

ChuckEdwards wrote:

"If I have the current phase as Existing however, with the same phase filter, I see nothing.

So what eactly is going on...?"

The reason you are not seeing anything is because your custom Phase Filter hides New Elements. Since the current Phase is set to "Existing" and the Phase Created value of all of the elements is the View's Current Phase, Revit considers them New in this View. So, if an element is Created in the current Phase, it is new.

If any of this doesn't make sense or you'd like further explanation/clarification, don't hesitate to ask!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 9
jkarben

You don't need that Show Existing Phase Filter. Remove it.

You don't need that Demolished Phase. Remove it.

Phase is a place in time.

Phase Filter determines how an element is displayed based on it's relationship (in time) to the view's Phase.

• Created in the current phase (New column).
  • Created in any previous phase (Existing column).
  • Created in a previous phase and demolished in the current phase (Demolished column).
  • Or created in the current phase and demolished in the current phase (Temporary column).

In each column you choose how the element is displayed.

• Not Displayed at all.
  • By Category (no override)
  • Overriden by the choices made in the Graphic Override tab.

For your view with the Phase set to Existing the "existing" elements are new to that phase so you'll need to choose a Phase Filter that has the New column set to By Category. Nothing is showing up because the Phase Filter chosen has the New Column set to Not Displayed.

To document existing work the common practice is to use those bottom two views as noted in Cadastrophe's post above. The top one, the view set to Phase Existing is only used to draw the existing stuff. They will show as "new" in that view. They will be overriden (most likely a thinner line weight) in the bottom two views.

Note: I'd also recommend in your Graphic Overrides to have your Demolished and Temporary setting differ so that it is more clear which is applied. The defaults are fairly close.

Message 7 of 9
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: jkarben

jkarben and Cadastrophe, thanks for your replies, it now makes sense.

kudos all round Cat Happy

Message 8 of 9
cjn01

I have a question that fits somewhere in this strig- How is the display of tags (section cut, elevation, etc.) controlled for demolition plans and new work plans? It seems if you use a "Demolition Phase", demolition sections (tags) will not display on new work plans and vice-versa. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Message 9 of 9
pbronkowski
in reply to: cjn01

Revit does not display demo items correctly when they are demo'd in the same phase as the new work, although its the same set of documents for demo and new work i always make a "existing", "demo" , :"New work" phase, otherwise revit will show your demo elevation, section, call out tags in your new work even if you change the phase filter, which is more work than actually creating new phases.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report