Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing for a wall opening?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
autoMick
10912 Views, 8 Replies

Phasing for a wall opening?

Hi, As part of a rennovation project I'm trying to draw an existing wall, which will have a section cut out of it during the new construction phase. But I'm having difficulties. What I've tried:

- Wall opening: I can't set a phase to the wall opening

- Void model: Error saying the void doesn't cut anything

- splitting the wall (horizontally and vertically). This works acceptably on a simple model (see pic), but on my house model, I can only seem to create the vertical split in the wall. What could be going on here?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

- Mick

wall split.JPG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: autoMick

You'll have to make two walls, since you can't demo part of something in Revit.  Edit the profile on one wall to make the L shape in your image, then make another "infill" wall for the remainder that you can demo.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 9
autoMick
in reply to: rosskirby

OK, I think that'll work for me. Any idea why adding the horizontal split to my wall in my house model may not have worked?

Thanks

- Mick

Message 4 of 9
damo3

Hi Mick, i think you will find a generic model opening family will be best for this. You can create one from scratch cutting openings or use a door family and change it to generic. Insert the opening into the wall just as you would a door, in the new phase. It will appear demo in the demo phase.
Hope it helps.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 9
autoMick
in reply to: damo3

That's what I what I was after Damo - works perfectly. So simple yet so elusive !

Thanks

- Mick

Message 6 of 9
damo3

No problem. Glad it helped.
Good way to model in lieu of editing wall profiles. Create a standard square and arch opening, covers most of my needs.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 7 of 9
autoMick

Damo3.... one more question. Is there a way to make the family such that it is easy to snap/align the opening extents to geometry in the model? I can create a wall opening family no worries and have set the width and height parameters to appropriate reference lines in the family, but when I use that family in the model, I need to measure the intended width, muck about with width and position a bit to get the opening in the right place. With a normal wall opening (not a family), the sides can be dragged independently and aligned quickly to where they are needed. Can the same be done for the family version? Wow, I hope this makes sense?

Thanks

- Mick

Message 8 of 9
damo3

Haha yeah makes perfect sense. So make a family that uses instance parameters and mark the reference planes as strong references. This will allow you to align edges and push pull as you desire.

Hola if you have problems.

Message 9 of 9
autoMick

That's what I need - thanks !

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report