Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing and Future Work

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
478 Views, 7 Replies

Phasing and Future Work

I've got a pretty good handle on 'standard' exist, demo and new work phasing
and view graphics, but am at a loss for creating and manipulating view,
graphics and filters for FUTURE in the same project. Has anyone deal with
this sort of issue or concept before?

M

--
Mike Maloney
RAC 2009/2010
Navisworks 5.5
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Just a thought.........Wondering if Phasing and Design Options could work
together. Has anyone done this?

--
Mike Maloney
RAC 2009/2010
Navisworks 5.5

"Mike Maloney" wrote in message
news:6203289@discussion.autodesk.com...
I've got a pretty good handle on 'standard' exist, demo and new work phasing
and view graphics, but am at a loss for creating and manipulating view,
graphics and filters for FUTURE in the same project. Has anyone deal with
this sort of issue or concept before?

M

--
Mike Maloney
RAC 2009/2010
Navisworks 5.5
Message 3 of 8
Scott_Womack

Mike, Phasing in Revit can only look at present going backwards. It can also in effect look at only two phases at a time, so no "Future Phasing" is possible.

I've read somewhere that phasing does work in design options, in that different things could be demoed in different design options. I don't believe you can had different phases in different Design Options (DO). Using the DO might allow you t osolve some of the "Future" issues you alluded to.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Hey Scott, thanks.  I've been playing with it,
and am finding out the same.  However, I have been able to at least use the
DO's to help "Phase the Future" for lack of a better term, at least to the point
to help with the graphics.  Seems to work how I need it so far.  I'll
post up when I get more figured out.

M

--
Mike Maloney
RAC 2009/2010
Navisworks 5.5

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Mike,
Phasing in Revit can only look at present going backwards. It can also in
effect look at only two phases at a time, so no "Future Phasing" is possible.
I've read somewhere that phasing does work in design options, in that
different things could be demoed in different design options. I don't believe
you can had different phases in different Design Options (DO). Using the DO
might allow you t osolve some of the "Future" issues you alluded
to.
Message 5 of 8
Jazzster11

i'm no expert at Revit, but i've become somewhat of an expert with phasing. we have 7 phases of work (with demolition and construction in each phase) for an enormous set of projects that we're just now starting to get into Revit. You could call a phase "Future", or call it whatever you want, and simply set up some views that are set to look at that phase and all previous phases (either use the Complete filter or previous and new, or previous and demo, etc.)

i have had to use design options WITH phases, and it gets a little hairy. the hardest part is trying to manage the information. i suggest setting up a different view for each phase that you need to work in instead of changing the view properties every time you want to switch between phases. i would do the same for design options. if you don't already know this (it took me awhile to find this out) you can control which design option within each design set is visible within a particular view by using the visibility graphics window.

We have also been setting up multiple Revit files (one for each new Core & Shell addition and one for each Fitup), and they all link into one another with the correct phasing assigned. Surprisingly, this has worked very well, although it's insanely complicated for being our first project in Revit.

I hope this helps; let me know if you need a better explanation on using phasing. It's much easier to set up your phases early on instead of moving objects to different phases later.

- Alex
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Mike Maloney wrote:
> Has anyone deal with
> this sort of issue or concept before?

My initial thoughts on handling this issue,
would be to implement the "Overlapping Viewports" trick on a Sheet Layout.

Create 2 separate Views,
with Phase settings and View Template settings optimized to show the "past"
and "future" elements separately,
then insert both (aligned and coincident to eachother) on a Sheet for
output.

Maybe Pin the Viewports down on the Sheet after the initial setup is
completed,
so nothing gets inadvertantly shifted?

--
CoreyL
Message 7 of 8
CliffatMNA

That will work graphically up until the point you need to use design options for what it is intended for.  I dont mean to sound critical I just want others to be aware.

Message 8 of 8
CliffatMNA
in reply to: CliffatMNA

After playing around I've found a solution that both works with existing, new construction, and future phases all represented differently, without sacrificing design options or worksets.  What I did was set up a new shared parameter and called it "phase naming."  Then I created a multi category schedule that included all categories from all disciplines.  I then chose my new phase naming parameter as one of the fields as well as family and type as the only other field. Be sure to check the box that says add to all elements in selected categories when adding your phase naming parameter, this will add that parameter to everything in your model as well as anything else you insert.  Now that you've done that you can go into that view and set up a view filter for anything that says existing in the phase naming parameter.  Then set up a new work overide phase filter to take care of anything you want to show up as future.  Be sure to use the multi category schedule you made to check that everything on the existing phase has phase naming parameter set to "existing." I do realize that this will not worked with anything linked but I thought it would be good information for anyone struggling with this issue.  Below are my results.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report