Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phase view control of shafts

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
twilks1
6156 Views, 16 Replies

Phase view control of shafts

I have a model with 15 floors and shaft objects in them. No matter what the Phase setting is for the shaft object the floor holes created by the shaft always show and cannot be eliminated with any Phase filter vew control. We need to adjust shaft locations and would like to maintain the cutting by shaft object through all floors. Any work arounds or methods??

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
alan.quinn
in reply to: twilks1

This is a known issue that development is working on. It will most likely need a code fix to address. In the meantime I suggest using Marking Regions with Invisible Lines to hide the shafts.

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 17

@alan.quinn, do we have fresh news about this issue?

Regards

Rodrigo Bezerra

EESignature

Message 4 of 17

I just checked the internal case as its still open. More current version were mentioned but its not clear if/when this will be address.

Thanks for posting.

Message 5 of 17
aearchitect
in reply to: alan.quinn

Any progress on this issue? Im remodeling a large existing building with a dozen new floor shafts and the work-around is the kind of tedious tasks revit is supposed to save us from.

Message 6 of 17
RDAOU
in reply to: aearchitect

@aearchitect

It would be easier if you use a void cut family (floor or surface based) to open those shafts with. It phases better, is controlled better and scheduled better

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 17

We are now 4 years on from when this bug was first identified, and yet it remains unresolved (at least it does so in Revit 2016).  Yes there are work-arounds but they are not solutions, as the shaft opening does not behave according to the underlying logic of the software. 

3 of us have spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what was going on, with a large project where a shaft opening had been wrongly allocated to a future phase by an ex-employee.

Message 8 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: andrewharle8552

A workaround that works is a solution.

You could save 3x20 minutes and any further of your and your colleagues' valuable time by using what @RDAOU has suggested.
Message 9 of 17
andrewharle8552
in reply to: ToanDN

ToanDN,

You are missing the point.  When the program does not behave in accordance with its underlying logic, you have to troubleshoot to find out why, particularly where you can't use the project browser to select the element in question.  

None of us knew that there was a shaft in a future phase.  It should not have been there, as the stair shaft it was meant to be forming was in the current phase, and other staff had drawn floors with the boundary creating the stair shaft.  I myself was unaware there was a future phase in the model.

We can learn from the experience and ensure it doesn't happen again (saving 20 minutes x 3 people), but because we did not know it was a phasing issue even a search on the internet did to come up with the solution, because we didn't put 'phase' as one of the search terms.

The frustration is that some things in the program don't fully work, are known not to fully work by Autodesk, and don't seem to get resolved.  Their limitations are not spelt out in the online help - in this case that shafts cut slabs of all phases regardless of which phase they are in, which means it is unhelpful to have them allocated to a phase in the first place.  

Message 10 of 17
RDAOU
in reply to: andrewharle8552

andrewharle8552 wrote:

ToanDN,

You are missing the point.  When the program does not behave in accordance with its underlying logic, you have to troubleshoot to find out why, particularly where you can't use the project browser to select the element in question.  

@andrewharle8552

Revit is only a tool (it is not 100% perfect; no Software or platform I have used so far is); however, how it is used is up to the user. For that reason some of us employ strict Guidelines and Best Practices on what a user MAY and SHALL not do. When a user goes rouge and does whatever, one can't blame the Software that it is not behaving with its underlying logic! At least...not on this one

andrewharle8552 wrote:

None of us knew that there was a shaft in a future phase.  It should not have been there, as the stair shaft it was meant to be forming was in the current phase, and other staff had drawn floors with the boundary creating the stair shaft.  I myself was unaware there was a future phase in the model.

We can learn from the experience and ensure it doesn't happen again (saving 20 minutes x 3 people), but because we did not know it was a phasing issue even a search on the internet did to come up with the solution, because we didn't put 'phase' as one of the search terms.

How would you know!!!

Any other user might or can also place elements here and there mix up worksets, Phase to his liking, bloat your central with exploded CADs and the list is infinite when it come to how to mess up a model User vs Software. Who is to be blamed for that? Not the Software for sure. I would blame that on bad practice and unqualified Team members (if not Team leaders)

Troubleshooting is inevitable (applies to all Software) If it is done regularly and periodically one can avoid 90% of the mess. Revit gives and error (minor or major – regardless) and the users ignore. When that happens (for instance) one shouldn’t whine and complain after 6 months into the program that Revit is not behaving as one would want it to..

1. Who maintains your Project's and who/how do you ensure that your Team is abiding to the set Guidelines and Best Practices? or does the process run itself and you guys just hope that all goes well in the end?
  2. When you get a new team member onboard what does he receive as induction?

andrewharle8552 wrote:

The frustration is that some things in the program don't fully work, are known not to fully work by Autodesk, and don't seem to get resolved.  Their limitations are not spelt out in the online help - in this case that shafts cut slabs of all phases regardless of which phase they are in, which means it is unhelpful to have them allocated to a phase in the first place.  

Revit, like many other leading BIM platforms provide tools with which one may do one things in a multitude of ways… they didn’t stop there; they even gave us access to Revit’s API and provided powerful tools such as Dynamo as well as interoperability with a multitude of software. It is the user who frustrates himself by limiting his options as well as his knowledge. Frankly speaking, the options provided by Autodesk Revit are close to limitless and when one tool doesn’t work the way one wants or expects it to doesn’t mean that such tools do not fully function the way they should… Many tools are also not meant to be used the way the user wants them to.

Back to the case of the shafts phasing…When one wants to phase horiyontally, one should not place or span vertical element unless those elements are phased separately...example a towers Core has it’s own phasing independent from the floors...it is a strategy which should be set before the Project Begins - how to split and how to Phase (One also can't blame an ex employee who did something to his own logic due to the lack of clear guidelines)…Therefore, when one wants to phase shaft openings by floor/slab then he uses/place X shafts (by tool) instead of one which spans from bottom to top…Personally I would still use a Void Family (for a dozen of other resons) … Same applies to almost every element one wants/plans to Phase

Unsubscribing to post ... apologies for not being able to entertain future replies to this thread but comments to PM inbox are always welcomed

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

The shaft tool should work and revit should have fixed this problem by now. A complicated and confusing workaround is not a solution. 

Message 12 of 17
7homR
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree with above posters. It is not logical that openings aren't phaseable.

Message 13 of 17
daotangluc
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU: My question is why a shaft can not be phased while doors could be.

I'm stuck in some renovation projects when try to create a new shaft on the existing wall. But we create a new door, Revit understand that that wall need to be demolished a void for that door. Why Revit programmers didn't do the same with a shaft?

I agree that software just be tools. But if they can be better, why not? Many inventions, innovations start from stupid questions.

Thanks,

Message 14 of 17
becoffman
in reply to: daotangluc

It is now September 2019 and this problem still appears to be here.  Can anyone from Autodesk please either fix the issue; or tell us why it is impossible to fix; or say they hear us and just don't care.

P.S. the same problem also occurs for wall, vertical, face, and dormer openings.

Message 15 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: becoffman

Those are shape modifiers. Think of them as profile editing of a wall. Phasing is not applicable. Use families instead.
Message 16 of 17
lmoP7HUR
in reply to: alan.quinn

@alan.quinn  Is there some news regarding this issue? 
Is it not possible to do for shafts what is possible for Voids?

Message 17 of 17
ay_dmagill
in reply to: twilks1

@RDAOU, is there a way to show the edges of the void extrusion (or the cut)? We are seeing the demo projection pattern as expected, but there is no outline. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report