Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametrical Control of the Radius in a Radial Array

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
IMCornish
1166 Views, 2 Replies

Parametrical Control of the Radius in a Radial Array

I am having trouble trying to parametrically control the radius of an array of holes in a steel plate which is part of a family I am creating.  I need to alter the radial distance of the holes, and the diameter of the holes, depending on the family type.  Whilst it is straightforward to control the diameter of each hole, controling the radial distance from the common centre is alluding me.

The first issue is locking the initial circle, to be arrayed, at a parametric distance.  I have tried all manner of combinations of reference lines and reference planes, some of which appear to flex prior to creating the array but I am constantly getting a 'Constraints are not satisfied' error message.

Any ideas please?  

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AJA14
in reply to: IMCornish

Hi. I'm not sure if we can help without the actual file to check, but I had an issue like this once, and if I am not mistaken, try creating your radial elements in a separate family, and then nest them in the original family and constrain them using reference lines. Give it a shot.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 3
kfielding
in reply to: IMCornish

Without seeing the file it is difficult to diagnose, however when I need to use arrays, I find it far more useful to have arrayed elements within a nested file.  This won't work is you are array a void though.

Disregarding this...

If you are controlling the radius of an array.  Create the polar array a normal.  Select the array, the temporary radius dimension will appear.  Convert this to a permanent dimension by clicking the little dim icon.  This dimension can now be changed to a length parameter.

This should control the radius of the array.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

If this solve your issue, please accept this as a solution

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report