Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Hole

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Bob_Zurunkle
3675 Views, 14 Replies

Parametric Hole

I am posting this thread because I tried without great success to find one to help me figure out how to make a round extrusion parametric -- in my case an extruded void for a bolt hole through a plate. After some thought and experimentaiton on my own I discovered what works for me:

1. Home tab --> Datum panel --> Reference Line --> Draw panel --> Circle (draw a reference circle)

2. Annotate tab --> Dimension panel --> Radial (apply this to the circle)

3. Right-click the dimension and apply a parametric label to it. "Flex" the geometry to make sure changing the parameter changes the size of the reference circle.

4. Home tab --> Forms panel --> Void Forms --> Void Extrusion --> Draw Panel --> Pick Lines tool (select the reference circle and lock the geometry to it)

5. Now flex the geometry again and the new hole should resize according to whatever the parametric radial dimension is changed to.

Bonus tip. The extrusion will have a default start and end. The start usually coincides with the workplane the object was extruded from. Some folks might alter these values so the extruded hole extends past the faces of the part, but Solidworks/Inventor modelers will tell you this is sloppy. If at some point the object containing the void is made thicker than the void, then the void won't go all the way through the object. So what I did was I clicked on the little ellipsis button in the Instance Properties, next to "Extrusion End", and associated it with the parameter for the object's thickness. Now if I change the thickness the hole depth will change with it and the hole (void extrusion) will retain the original design intent -- that is, it will go through no matter what.

I am so happy I solved my issue that I just had to share 😄

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Good, now how about these two additional challenges? 🙂

1) Make the location of the hole parametric, controlling its distance from a corner, in x, and y, by parameters.

2) Make a different version of the hole, so that the user can change the hole by diameter, not by radius.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 15

Actually the parts I am modeling do have the location feature, where one of the holes is centered on the origin (for our purposes), but the locations to 2 of the adjacent edges happen to be controlled by one parameter "edge to hole" distance, the overall part length and width are another pair of parameters, and the locations of other holes are either also "edge to hole" or "hole to hole". I also added a Material instance parameter, and on some of these families I have even introduced both horizontal and vertical double flips, for rapidly modifying the orientation of the part in a project. I have my model geometry aligned and locked to workplanes, and I have dimensions locked to the workplanes (not to the geometry), with parametric labels.

I too would rather see diameter instead of radius, but I can work with radius for my purposes. Why, if I discover how to make it diameter, they'd probably promote me to Man With Funny Hat or something 😄

Seriously though, I posted this so anyone who finds themselves searching for the same answer will have the steps to achieve it 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 15
gdodge
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I really appreciate your post.  I was searching the site for that exact question. 

Message 5 of 15
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: gdodge

Stick around! There's lots of friendly folks willing to help those of us who get stuck...

Message 6 of 15

very good post.

I made all the steps you indicate and it works fine...you forgot to mention the family in wich you worked....the best works with Generic Model Face Based......When inserting in project the temporary dimensions help a lot in positioning the hole...also array...

thank you

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 7 of 15
RaoulTittel

I like this hole thingy you have made!

I wonder if there is a facility in Revit to be able to generate a diameter dimension for said holes using a tag?

Using Revit 2012
Message 8 of 15

Good call on mentioning the family used Constantin.  Do you think this algorithm will work for a Wall Based Generic Model? 

Message 9 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: johnw4564R

@johnw4564R

Yes.  However, a face based family is more versatile in terms of accepting host.

Message 10 of 15
chrisplyler

Or you could just...you know...create the plate with parametric holes in the first place. Extrusions in Revit can have an outer border that creates the basic form AND interior borders that subtract from the form.

Message 11 of 15
chrisplyler

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:
I too would rather see diameter instead of radius, but I can work with radius for my purposes. Why, if I discover how to make it diameter, they'd probably promote me to Man With Funny Hat or something 😄

Just annotate the circle using the Diameter dimension instead of the Radial dimension. Then assign a parameter to that Diameter dimension.

Message 12 of 15
johnw4564R
in reply to: ToanDN

True. Face based is very versatile and easier to implement. I was curious how a parametric hole in a wall based component would flex if a user changed the structure of the wall (i.e its thickness). Would a thickness parameter have to be implemented and if so could it automatically flex as the wall thickness changes? It would be sweet if the one could drop a parametric hole on a wall and have it cut automatically if the wall structure were modified. BTW...Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated!

Message 13 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: johnw4564R

@johnw4564R wrote:
True. Face based is very versatile and easier to implement. I was curious how a parametric hole in a wall based component would flex if a user changed the structure of the wall (i.e its thickness). Would a thickness parameter have to be implemented and if so could it automatically flex as the wall thickness changes? It would be sweet if the one could drop a parametric hole on a wall and have it cut automatically if the wall structure were modified. BTW...Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated!

Create the hole in the family using Opening tool and it will automatically cut through any wall thickness without constraining the depth as with Voids.

Capture.PNG

Message 14 of 15
chrisplyler
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, use the opening tool, but...

Don't all wall based families have a sample wall element in them? Can't you just align/lock the back side of your void to the back side of the wall? And then won't it flex the any thickness of wall in the project?

Message 15 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: chrisplyler

Locking the back side of the void the the back side of the sample wall should work too.  Just that it adds one more step to the workflow.  Also, it would not cut through joined walls.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report