Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pantone Color Picker Freezing Revit 2012, 2013

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
joeldabrowski
2291 Views, 10 Replies

Pantone Color Picker Freezing Revit 2012, 2013

Hi All,

I'm having a problem since yesterday (January 2, 2013) where whenever I click on the "PANTONE" button to bring up the Pantone color picker under the color palette, Revit freezes. This is happening in a variety of models, in a variety of places, in both Revit 2012 and 2013. It's happening no matter what context I'm trying to bring up the palette; that is, I started by using color schemes, but I can go under Materials or anywhere else I can bring up the color picker and get the same freeze.

I've tried creating new local files, new central files, restoring backups, trying different projects (even ones I'm not doing to work for), etc. They all freeze. When I say freeze, I mean I've left it to go to lunch and come back an hour later and I have the Windows 7 turquoise innertube of death when I hover over any Revit window, so it's not just "thinking about it". The rest of the system is unaffected.

Before I left for the holiday break, I was using the Pantone colors in floor plans via color schemes without any issues. I know I can do a workaround by using RGB values, but I'd rather use the actual Pantone colors since this work has to coordinate with work in other programs (Illustrator, InDesign) for marketing purposes.

My basic question is: anyone else have this issue, or have you seen it  crop up before? I checked my file locations and I don't see where to control where Revit looks for this palette info.

I'm using Revit Architecture 2012 build 20110622_0930(x64) Update Release 1 and Revit Architecture 2013 build 20120221_2030(x64).

Thank you in advance if you have any ideas/suggestions.

Sincerely,

Joel

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Please download and install update 2 for both 2012 and 2013 to see if the behavior changes.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: joeldabrowski

I'm having the same problems as the user above, I go to select a Pantone color and I get the Windows inner tube of death for several minutes before being able to proceed normally, also when I enter a number to search for nothing happens.

I'm already running the SErvice Pack 2 for REVIT 2013.  Please help! 

Message 4 of 11

I'm having the same issue. Very frustrating Autodesk - why even have it if it doesn't work and hasn't for a numebr of releases. Just another thing today that i found has been broken in the 2013 that used to work (at all, or faster and better) in previous releases. Is there a fix for this of do you expect us to search manually through thousands of colours??? More hours lost and decreased productivity. Aaaargh!

Message 5 of 11
side75

I am having the same or similar problem.  Everytime I open up the Pantone colour picker it hangs for a long time, with the spinning wheel.  I have almost given up on using eny colours or textures as a result!  It is so frustrating.  As far as I can tell I have the most up to date version of Revit 2013 and other computers (with the same configuration) in the office don't have this problem. 

Any further ideas as to what it could be?

Message 6 of 11
side75
in reply to: side75

any ideas?  is nobody else suffering from the pantone colour picker freezing or rather taking a very long time to open every time!?

Message 7 of 11
L.Maas

I remember seeing this before but found no solution.

However you can avoid the Pantone Picker by using RGB colors.

As a workaround, if you still want to use Pantone colors for your materials you can search for a conversion table on the internet between Pantone and RGB.

Maybe not the ideal solution but beats long waiting times for the Pantone Color Picker.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 8 of 11
side75
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you, EnlInt.

I do normally use RGB, but when trying to use colours within a similar hue or saturation value (schematic drawings for example) I find the pantone chooser helps immeasurably as I am pretty inept at colour choosing.

I hope that someone might find a solution but in the meantime your tip for using a web based colour converter is much appreciated!

kind regards

Message 9 of 11
aesdaile.b

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE!

I just lost 30 mins of work to this. Hey, not much I know, but it was a very productive 30 mins designing some very neat slatted walls and some lovely brick colours that I would really have liked to save.

If it's so unstable, remove the **** thing! Sorry, but not sorry - I'm grumpy that after 17 years using Revit the materials system is still a nightmare.

oh and by they way...

Revit 2016R2 16.0.1161.0
20160720_0715(x64)
Update6 for R2

Machine specs - i7-67something, ram lots+32GB, Nvidia GTX1080 latest drivers... I think it's powerful enough to show some colours in Revit! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 11
shenderson
in reply to: aesdaile.b

Agree completely.

I haven't even tried to use pantone for years  because of this.  This morning I thought 'surely they've fixed this by now'.

Nope.

I've been using Revit since 08. This bug and many, many other fixes and features users have been asking for for years continue to be ignored. Oh well, as long as your board members are happy screw the people who actually have to produce something.

Message 11 of 11
Lewis-J

This is still an issue in 2019.2,

In fairness the first time I used Pantone colour chart in a new instance of Revit (2011 onwards) it would always be slow, then every time after that worked fine. Now it straight up soft locks the program and then crashes, or I have to crash it out manually by force ending the program.

It's disappointing to see this has been an issue for others for such a long time.

Just adding my two pence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report