Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel systems model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
raffit
1367 Views, 3 Replies

Panel systems model

Hi,

I need help in creating a model for 2 different panel systems.  The client is a cladding subcontractor, hired to execute a project that follows the GSA spec and is required to produce 3D (Revit 2012) record documents.  The interesting wrinkle is that 2D shops have already been approved.  How you reconcile those with the 3D Revit model created by the architect (the template for my work) is still unclear to me.  The systems need to be modeled, so including the panelization as 2D graphic does not seem to foot the bill.

One of the systems is a terracotta rainscreen, the other: a corrugated metal panels system.  The former is typically hung off of vertical angles attached to the wall framing (stl studs) through horizontal AL extrusions.  The latter has a typical attachment to the wall framing.

On the terracotta, I am leaning towards using a curtain wall system, using the terracotta panel as the CW panel.  I believe that the CW grid can be adjusted to accurately reflect the panelization grid:

Terracotta wall ELEVATION.jpg

I can also use the grid for placement of H and V support elements.  On the negative size: I am not sure about the ability of the CW grid to handle different panel conditions: there are at least 3 different end conditions.  File size is also a consideration.  I did a test using a generic element as a CW panel and a simple system came up to 19 MB file.  The test was probably 5% of the final scope of the terracotta system: seems too heavy... I know I can optimize the panel: the current system includes the clips which may be eliminated, yet it would be nice to have all components there...

On the corrugated screen side: I am leaning towards modeling the wall using wall sweeps.

I need some help with pros and cons of the methodology I've suggested.  I am also not locked into the precise algorithms.  Any BTDT's?  Any help is appreciated.  The priority is to chose the most powerful yet efficient system.  Shunning adaptive components b/c

• no experience
  • seems to be an overkill: both these are flat systems.

Any opinions?

Thank you all very much.

RT

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: raffit

Curtain wall and curtain panels is, in my opinion, the most powerful choice. Just need to create a good set of curtain panel families, with different options, to cover all the conditions: the repetitive panels, the end conditions. These are very versatile tool.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
raffit
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks, Alfredo.  Do you think that the corrugated family should be created the same way, or would I be better off using wall sweeps?

Any other opinions, anyone?

Cheers,

RT

Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: raffit

@raffit wrote:

Thanks, Alfredo.  Do you think that the corrugated family should be created the same way, or would I be better off using wall sweeps?

That can be a curtain panel family with some extrusions.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report