Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paint Tool Giving Inaccurate SF on Schedules

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MelissaLot1883
503 Views, 3 Replies

Paint Tool Giving Inaccurate SF on Schedules

Hello,

I have seen similar posts to this one but no solution. 

I am working on a project doing cost estimating and product specification for interiors.  First project ever using Revit! 

In my "Wall Finish Schedule" I need to show the finish material, the Area (SF) and cost.  For tile on the wall I have created basic walls which works great. For my painted walls I used the split face tool and applied the material with the paint tool.  Double checking the SF calculations for the applied paint - they are incorrect and seem to calculate the whole wall instead of the split area with material applied.

What is the best solution to properly apply wall materials so they schedule properly?

Thanks so much!!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LisaDrago
in reply to: MelissaLot1883

Hello and Welcome to the Discussion!

So I have checked out what you have stated... And yes I can see that when you do a sf and paint - it does not change the area of the original material. (Image attached) 

Right now my only thought would be to edit the profile of the wall and cut the area out that needs a different material - and then place a new wall with the correct material in that place.

Or -  if the first 5' of wall is CMU and the rest of the wall is brick - then either do a stacked wall with the right materials or get into the structure of the wall and modify the material by splitting the wall and changing the material there.

So there are a few options - really depends on what you need to do.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 4
ggmartinez
in reply to: LisaDrago

That's method  (modify the estructure to match the actual element) is the only one I have found .And it is not so hard to do.

Message 4 of 4

In my opinion Revit acts correctly....In fact Split Face and Paint do not change the layer structure of an wall. 

They only apply on that wall a "wallpaper"- without any thickness ( see in Material Takeoff Schedule that the Material:Volume for Material:As Paint is 0,00), in addition to existing layers...

I think that ,at origin , the function was created as a quick method to change colors of the finish layers...but as you can choose any material (even brick,stone,etc) that can create  a bit of confusion..

So if you need to work correctly ( not only fast) , my opinion is to do it as in building process ( in several steps):

1. instead of a Wall with many Layers of material, make a wall that contains the Structure and the unchangeable layers as a base. 
  2. then, create other walls that contain the chaingeable layers : Finishes with their appropriate Insulation and Substrate
  3. place the walls created in 2) on the exterior side of the Wall 1) , Align the 2 to 1 and Join them...Now they act as one wall , so any door or window will cut both walls
  4. Now, you can insert other 2) type wall into Wall 2) and embed it with Cut... so that you'll be able now to have real insertion ( not a fake like Split Face and Paint)

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report