Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openings and their inability to be phased

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
IMCornish
5188 Views, 24 Replies

Openings and their inability to be phased

I have an issue with openings not being able to be phased.  In renovation projects it is quite common to widen an existing wall opening, for example.  However, openings cannot be phased, they can only be existing and therefore the only workaround is to add the 'new' opening, with its eventual width, in the 'as existing' view set and close it to the 'existing' width with a wall, or walls, that can be then be demolished in the 'new construction' views!  How mad is that?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
BristolCAD
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi ToanDN,

Thats actually really helpful thanks. I wasn't aware of that functionality - following your image below, I've created a generic 'opening' model on my floor element for my stairs to poke through and it all phases nicely. 

The functionality is obviously there, so it seems odd to not be able to apply phases to the opening tools (shaft etc) that are given priority on the Architecture Tab/Ribbon as these are the tools new users like myself would go to initially. Its this occasional inconsistency within Revit that can make it seem impenetrable on occasion.

But either way - many thanks for your tip, thats really helped me out.

Message 22 of 25
kyle

When working on existing conditions, phasing an opening would solve so many issues. I shouldn't have to use a workaround in software that costs thousands of dollars for something that is so simple. Also, rooms simply do not work with phasing; tis absurd.

Message 23 of 25
IMCornish
in reply to: kyle

Kyle, I agree and said as much years ago.  It seems to me that Autodesk are more interested in their bottom line than actually developing Revit to create a virtual BIM model that matches reality, sadly. This is still on my wish list and I am using 2018!

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 24 of 25

Hi All -

Sorry coming to this a bit late but  I found that one way to do this is using a void extrusion which CAN be phased and then cutting the geometry.

Easier to do in 3D. Shows up nicely in all phased views. Hope it helps.

JamesBuildingDesign

In addition - you can make the wall non room bounding and then create a room separator to your desired room boundary and then use the room tool to designate m2 etc within your newly created space. Hope im getting the gist of this across but would be pleased to hear from anyone who wants to discuss further.

Adam

Message 25 of 25
Spirit_440

Interesting that this hasn't been resolved in eight years. Seems like it's pretty important. A wall opening might have an easy door component  solution, but it is a lot trickier when you are trying to cut a dormer out of a roof. I can barely get it to work and stay joined without phasing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report