Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Room Bounding Wall Opening

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
vertz
6845 Views, 8 Replies

Non Room Bounding Wall Opening

I have a load-bearing masonry wall in an existing building where I need to remove a portion of it to make two rooms into one.  The wall will only be removed so that it is above the new ceiling.  How do a create an opening in it that is not room bounding?  I have a wall opening family, but you cannot choose whether or not they are room bounding.  This only works for walls.

Joe

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kfielding
in reply to: vertz

Joe,

The best method for this is to create a wall opening in the existing phase using the Architecture>>Opening>>Wall Tool.  Then, still within the existing phase add another wall that fills in the opening, so both will remain (Opening and Wall). 

In the new phase demolish the infill wall.  This will ensure that the new phase room will 'flow' into both spaces.

I don't like chopping up the existing models however this is the only way to do this.

Good luck,

K

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Message 3 of 9
vertz
in reply to: kfielding

Kevin,

This solution does work for a simple wall, however, I have found that it won't work with stacked walls.  If you have two wall types stacked and you only cut through the bottom one, Revit still sees the top wall as the room boundary.  I guess I am going to have to cut that apart also to make this work properly.

Joe

Message 4 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

Maybe I am missing something, because I don't see why this is a problem. If two adjacent rooms are to become one, select the wall that divides them, set that wall to be not room bounding, then do the opening or do edit profile.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 9
KevinFielding

Joe,

The method will work, however when adding the infill wall for the stacked wall Right Click the wall and select break up.  This will allow you to modify the height, and remove sections of the infill stacked wall that are above the ceiling.

Alfredo,

if it was just a model of the new construction then your method would work, however I imagine Joe is also creating an existing plan as well that will require rooms.  I appreciate that this can be achieved using room separation lines etc, however I don't think this is best practice as the room areas wouldn't be correct.

It's interesting how different people approach the same issue, there are multiple ways to skin the Revit cat!

K

Message 6 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

I see. That's the part that I was missing, then, the phases. I did not take that into account when I read the original question in this thread.

@Kevin wrote:
...There are multiple ways to skin the Revit cat!"

Oh, yes, we even have the Revit cat here. 🙂

It was posted by my friend Jeff Hanson at the end of this other thread.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Oh, yes, we even have the Revit cat here. 🙂

It was posted by my friend Jeff Hanson at the end of this other thread.

Ha!!! Smiley LOL I had forgotten I posted that.  I like it being called "the Revit cat".  I might have to start posting it everytime I see more than one solution posted to a problem.  Smiley Happy

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 9
kfielding
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

There was me trying to be original and quirky! Smiley Wink

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Message 9 of 9
mcgJC4VD

Hi,

Not entirely sure, that ive understood your question correctly, but if i did, you can use the "Split tool" on the part of thee wall were the hole is, and make that specifik part "Non room bounding"

Hope this helped 🙂

Have a great day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report