Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - need to open rvt - no central model?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kylei7449
489 Views, 1 Reply

Newbie - need to open rvt - no central model?

I am not familiar with Revit and I need to extract some drawings from a(n) rvt file(s). Opening the files gives many errors and warnings. I'm using 2014 and opening these files gives me the upgrade warning and that synchronization with the central model will be lost once upgraded. There are other errors pertaining to objects in the model and there are several warmings about resaving the central model. However, once the file is open the Views only show the ancillary CAD geometry, nothing else (no floor plans, etc.) If I go into the Link Manager, the link to the "central model" is a saved file path from where the files came from. (the consultant) I can't reassociate the link to my local drive? Is the central model not present? (how can it not be?) If I try extracting the views/sheets I need I get nothing but the misc geometry. (ie, grid lines for example)

Am I not opening the files correctly, or is there no central model to link to?? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: kylei7449

By reading your message, I understand that you received a central file and you just need to take some information from this file. Some of the questions that you have asked in this post should really be directed to whoever sent you the file, since I might be making assumptions here without having more information.

However, I would say that, in this situation, ideally, you should have received a "detached" version of the central file, so that you don't have to deal with error messages about worksets and other things that you don't need. Since the file that you received seems to be a central, in order to continue working without problems, create a detached version of it, by doing this: browse for the file in windows explorer. In the open dialog box, click on "detach from central". Then, open. There will be a question about detach and preserve or detach and discard. Choose the latter one. Then save with another name, (remove the word "central" that is usually added to the file), and close the file.

The next time you open this file, it will be like any other regular file, without worksets. You still will get some error messages about links not found. Here is where you need to contact them and ask them which of those links are essential for you and which are not. If you get those additional files, save them in a folder, go to Manage Link in your file, and use "Reload from" on each of them, to put the whole thing together again. After that, you can either print or export to CAD if that is what you need.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report