Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Oilymo
290 Views, 5 Replies

New user?

Firstly this is not a question about which product is better so please refrain from getting drawn into that argument.

We are very experienced AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) users and have been using this product for the past 10 years. Our core business is domestic extensions, loft conversions, structural alterations etc with the occasional new build house in the UK.  Product support for ACA is now diminishing with all resources being focused on Revit. We have used Revit in the past and really like the concept/way it works especially as we demo and model with customers present but we have concerns before we potentially jump ship;

How does it handle domestic extensions and loft conversions, especially detailing?

Has anyone experience with both products in the UK? Not just for demo purposes but in a business role.

Is it worth the extra cost and downtime? At the moment we can produce a full set of plans from survey in 4-5 hours.

Each house we visit is different (aren't they all) along with the windows and doors. ACA allows us to create unique windows and doors very easily. How does Revit handle unique windows and doors?

Thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated.

Ben

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maciejwypych
in reply to: Oilymo

Hi,

See my response below.

Oilymo wrote:
Firstly this is not a question about which product is better so please refrain from getting drawn into that argument.

We are very experienced AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) users and have been using this product for the past 10 years. Our core business is domestic extensions, loft conversions, structural alterations etc with the occasional new build house in the UK.  Product support for ACA is now diminishing with all resources being focused on Revit. We have used Revit in the past and really like the concept/way it works especially as we demo and model with customers present but we have concerns before we potentially jump ship;

How does it handle domestic extensions and loft conversions, especially detailing?

Although, extensions have not been the primary focus, I've done my fair share.
I found the detailing in Revit actually faster than ACA. First, beacuse it's fairly easy to build up a good library of Detail Items which can be parametric, and also they can have keynotes, or description assigned to them, which makes annotation of details super fast and consistant throughot a project and/or practice.
Second, because of the associativity of all elements in the project.

Has anyone experience with both products in the UK? Not just for demo purposes but in a business role.

The office I was working for in the UK was using ACA for a few years and I was responible for the transition to Revit in 2009-10 and I've been working in Revit until now. Recently in Oz.

Is it worth the extra cost and downtime? At the moment we can produce a full set of plans from survey in 4-5 hours.

Well, that's almost imposible question to answer. I belive it is, Revit just gives you more for your money.
Yes, there are drawbacks, it's not AutoCAD anymore(or ACA for that matter), slightly different way of thinking is required and adjustments in your workflow and maybe some office standards will need to be made.
But if you spend some time and create a decent template (or templates for different type of project), library of objects and detail items, you can achieve a very efficient workflow.

Each house we visit is different (aren't they all) along with the windows and doors. ACA allows us to create unique windows and doors very easily. How does Revit handle unique windows and doors?

Mastering the doors and windows workflow is a bit tricky at first, but whenever you'll get users to understand that not every door or window has to be created using the door or window tool, but created as a curtain wall or modeled in place, they will be able to build anything you will throw at them very quickly.

Hope this helps,

Maciej

Message 3 of 6
Oilymo
in reply to: maciejwypych

Maciej,

Thank you for your answer.  Just one question; when you worked in an office with ACA did they use it properly i.e. as a 3D package or were they using it as a 2D package?  From my knowledge Revit forces you to work in 3D whereas it is possible to still use AutoCAD Architecture as a 2D package.

Many thanks

Ben

Message 4 of 6
maciejwypych

Hi Oilymo,

ACA was used for both 2D and 3D.
In theory you could do that in Revit as well, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Revit it's just easier to work in 3D than ACA and that's the whole point of this software. The 3D in Revit is there to help you keep the relationship between elements in plans, sections and elevations that you need to produce anyway (I know that it's a huge simplification) and if it's there, why not use it?
But if you want to stick with 2D I believe that Revit will be working well for you as you can have the benefits of Detail Items which can be associated with specific keynotes or just the fact that they can be parametric(I know I know... dynamic blocks in AutoCAD&ACA... )
Message 5 of 6
Oilymo
in reply to: maciejwypych

Maciej,

Thank you for your comments, they're very helpful

Kind regards

Ben

Message 6 of 6
maciejwypych

No problem,
happy to help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report