Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Family, and Family Type Parameter error message

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
bashworth
3678 Views, 3 Replies

Nested Family, and Family Type Parameter error message

Not getting far on my own with this, so thought I'd reach out and see if someone can explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

I have a family (A).  Inside A, I have another family (B) that is comprised of about 9 different Family Types.  (btw, I've also tried this by having each family type of B be it's own stand-alone family too)

I can import B into A just fine, no errors.  I can insert one type of B into A so I get my location down.  What I want to do is have a pull down in the properties window for A when it's in a project, that will allow the end user to select which version of B to display.

To accomplish this, I've created a Family Types parameter.  Then, in the properties palette for the instance of B, I am changing the Label property to this parameter.  However, when I change it, I'm getting the following error message:

"Warning - can be ignored  (<- yet won't let me ignore it O.o)

The type(s) of the selected element(s) are driven by family parameter(s).

Changing the type directly will break the association."

I have not had any luck blindly knocking at this pinata to get its candy to spill out, so any hints or assitance as to what to check for on this would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bashworth
in reply to: bashworth

Isn't that always how it goes...  soon as I posted this.  It is fixed.

I had to choose a different type of the nested family, then it would let me change the Label to the parameter.  Just not the one that I'd actually inserted at first.

Oh well, if anyone else has the error, there you go.

Message 3 of 4
bashworth

Nevermind my earlier nevermind.... Smiley Mad

Giving me the same error message again, and the steps I used to NOT get the error before are no longer working.

Message 4 of 4
bashworth

For future reference, in order to set the Label property equal to a Family Type parameter, you have to make sure the family type selected in the parameters window, matches the family type currently displayed.

ex.. You make the Family Type parameter, and 'Type A' is the currently listed type.  When you select on the family to set the Label property, make sure the type shown is also Type A.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report