Revit Architecture

Mentor
RedMan77
Message 1 of 7 (308 Views)
Accepted Solution

Need help with Ceiling pattern with alternating distances - Is it possible?

308 Views, 6 Replies
10-31-2013 07:31 AM

Can anyone please help with a ceiling pattern that is 2'-0" in the X but 2'-0" and then 2'-9" in the Y?  For the whole ceiling it alternates between 2'-0" and 2'-9".  I am going crazy trying to figure this  if its even possible.  Seems it should be too different than a brick pattern.  Trying to create an existing condition in the ceiling and I am coming up against this.  I know I could just draw lines but I am trying to avoid that.  Any assitance is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 2 of 7 (299 Views)

Re: Need help with Ceiling pattern with alternating distances - Is it possible?

10-31-2013 07:59 AM in reply to: RedMan77

Try using Hatch-22.  You can create your own hatch pattern.  Here's the link.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Mentor
RedMan77
Message 3 of 7 (285 Views)

10-31-2013 08:41 AM in reply to: rosskirby

Tried that.  Keeps telling me the hatch pattern is too large and when I paste the results in text editor, it doesnt come close to what I need. 

Love that site.  I use the parameter jerk to import numerous parameters into a family at once.

*Expert Elite*
David_W._Koch
Message 4 of 7 (238 Views)

10-31-2013 06:59 PM in reply to: RedMan77

One line, repeated at a 2'-0" spacing will work for the 2'-0" offsets in the X-direction.  You will need two lines in the Y-direction, repeating at a 4'-9" offset each.  The origin of the second line needs to be 2'-0" in the Y-direction from the origin of the first line.  See attached file.

David Koch
Mentor
RedMan77
Message 5 of 7 (218 Views)

11-01-2013 07:58 AM in reply to: David_W._Koch

THANKS!!  I think I understand.  I know a little bit about dissecting the values in the pat file but his helps in a big way.  Just one question.  Where does the 4'-9" show up from your response in the file you uploaded.  Did you mean 2'-9"?  Thanks again.  Much appreciated.  Also wanted to thank  for your input as well.

*Expert Elite*
David_W._Koch
Message 6 of 7 (205 Views)

11-01-2013 10:33 AM in reply to: RedMan77

You wanted alternating spacings of 2'-0" and 2'-9".  The offset between members of the same "family" of lines is constant, so one line cannot be spaced at 2'-0" and 2'-9", so you need two parallel line definitions, with a 2'-0" separation in their origin points,  that are spaced at the total of the repeating pattern, which is 2'-0" + 2'-9" = 4'-9" (57 in the PAT file).

Each line in a hatch definition represents a "family" of lines.  The angle of the line is specified in the first field, then the X and Y values of the origin point are specified in the next two fields.  The X offset (offset along the length of the line, regardless of angle; only has meaning for a line that has a dash pattern specified) and the Y offset (offset between members of the family, perpendicular to the direct of the line, regardless of angle) are the fourth and fifth fields.  Optional fields defining pen-down segments (dashes - positive values) and pen-up segments (gaps - negative values) can follow.  For an RCP grid, the lines are continuous, so there are no optional dash fields in the file I attached.

The first line definition is

0,   0,0,   0,57

This creates a horizontal line (0-degree angle) with an origin at 0,0 that has an X-offset along the length of the line of 0 (no dashes, so any number would work) and a Y-offset perpendicular to the length of the line of 57 (4'-9"), so you would get a series of lines running horizontally, 57 units apart.

The second line definition is

0,   0,24,   0,57

This creates a second horizontal line with an origin at 0,24, putting it 24 units (2'-0") away from the first line.  Like the first line, it is continuous, so the X-offset is meaningless and set to 0; the Y-offset is 57 (4'-9"), so this creates a second series of lines that are 57 units apart and 24 units (2'-0") from the previous line of the first line definition and 33 units (2'-9") from the following line of the first defintion line, creating the alternating 2-0" and 2'-9" spacing.

The third line defintion is

90,  0,0,  0,24

Since the spacing of the pattern in the other direction is a constant 2'-0", one line is all that is needed.  The angle is 90, making it a vertical line, with an origin at 0,0.  There is no X-offset along the length of the line, but there is a Y-offset perpendicular between lines of the same family of 24 units (2'-0").

David Koch
Mentor
RedMan77
Message 7 of 7 (197 Views)

11-01-2013 11:17 AM in reply to: David_W._Koch

AHA!!!  Got it. Thanks for the clarification.  Makes total sense. You Rock!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube