Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help With Sketchup To Revit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
minisambora
670 Views, 5 Replies

Need Help With Sketchup To Revit

Ususally I use Revit for all my stuff and import a few things from sketchup that are difficult to do in revit. However, I am working on a project in sketchup that is an entire building and I don't want to have to rebuild it in revit so I went to put it from sketchup to revit like I did before by making each material type to be a different layer in sketchup so that when you toggle on and off each layer everything with that material turns on and off. Then I put it into revit and assigned revit materials to each layer. However, when I render it only some of the material surfaces render with the proper material and the others are just the generic grey color, even though the same surfaces are on the same layer in sketchup. So my question is how do I fix this so that the entire material surface gets rendered correctly? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
vector3
in reply to: minisambora

@minisambora wrote:

a project in sketchup that is an entire building and I don't want to have to rebuild it in revit 

SketchUp is a sketch program, like an automatic pencil drawing program

on the computer screen. SketchUp doesn't build anything like Revit does.

Revit builds a virtual construction model just like the real thing but in the

computer.

There is no way to magically convert sketch lines into a real virtual building.

Sometimes we import sketch lines into Revit to use as guides for building

our model, but you can reference them externally just as well.

SketchUp is a real good way to shape your building and get a good idea

of how it will look and function. From that you build your Revit model.

Message 3 of 6
minisambora

True it doesn't build a building like revit, but it builds things like components that you can apply a material too for rendering, which I do all the time but usually it is just one or two materials (like a roof) and isn't very complex. So my issue is now that I have a more complex component the materials don't render on all the surfaces, it does on some but not on all of them and I want to fix this.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
vector3

@minisambora wrote:

materials don't render on all the surfaces

Rendering SketchUp lines is very important for visualization.

The best way to render those lines is right there in SketchUp.

SketchUp even has a V-ray plug-in. 

I don't see anything beating SketchUp as the best way to 

conceive and visualize a project. Unless you are a hard-core

Max or Rhino operator.

Message 5 of 6
minisambora

Well I have used the kerkythea render and it seems fine for the architecture, but I have quite a bit of vegetation (this project is in a forest) and when I use 3d trees it slows my computer down way to much and would be impossible to do it to get the vegetation I need. There are a few trees that would work but when I render them in kerkythea they just render as a black mass so I am not sure how to fix that. Plus the topography I have used in sketchup just doesn't look that good, but I can live with it. I can't live with the vegeation.

Message 6 of 6
parveen.revit

mixing of many software doesn't make good sense.

concentrate on only one/two with good interoperability.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report