Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mullion flipped in project

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
jonmcfarlandGY
8169 Views, 17 Replies

Mullion flipped in project

I've created a non-symmetrical curtain wall mullion profile.  When I assign that profile to a vertical curtain grid line, it is flipped in the project.  In the attached image, you can see that the brace on the right in the family plan view is on the left in the project plan view.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Please select "Accept as Solution" if your question was answered
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

I would save the mullion profile family as... "right", load into project, then, save as... "left", mirror the profile, load into project. That would allow me to create two types of mullion, each of them with a different orientation. There is no easy "flip control" for mullions.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 18

Hi Alfredo,

That's the workaround that I'm doing, but I was hoping to understand what triggers Revit to mirror the mullion.  As is, I have to create, catalog and manage objects that I won't use and remember when left means left and left means right.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 4 of 18

jonmcfarlandWS wrote: ...but I was hoping to understand what triggers Revit to mirror the mullion.  As is, I have to create, catalog and manage objects that I won't use and remember when left means left and left means right....

I know. It is very unpredictable, and, its logic, if it has one, is difficult to understand. It's not just left vs right, top vs bottom, but also interior vs exterior, but is consistently inconsistent. 🙂

For example, to get exactly the same orientation that is shown in the mullion profile family, one has to draw the curtain wall from left to right, and then use the flip control of the curtain wall. However, if I do it from right to left, one would think that it would be the same result, but it is not, not even after flipping the curtain wall. Do we have here that smiley for "crazy"?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 18
alan.quinn
in reply to: jonmcfarlandGY

Can you create a Left and Right Mullion and apply to the correct side of your curtain wall? Can your details pick up the this portion of the mullion? Can you represent this with lines? 

Thanks for posting.

Message 6 of 18
jonmcfarlandGY
in reply to: alan.quinn

Hi Alan,

<<Can you create a Left and Right Mullion and apply to the correct side of your curtain wall?>>

Yes, I can create a left and right version, but I don't always need both.  It seems odd and counterintuitive that I need to draw a left family, test whether it's actually left or right in the project, rename it (sometimes the opposite of what it is in the family) and then create the one that I do need (sometimes the opposite of what it is in the family).  I've attached a family that has this issue.

<<Can your details pick up the this portion of the mullion? Can you represent this with lines?>>

There are no details; this project consists only of a model.

How can I predict whether what I draw in the Family Editor will appear correctly in the model?  I looked for the Do Opposite of User's Needs checkbox but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Jon

Message 7 of 18
alan.quinn

Revit appears to be working as expected. If you create an out of the box Curtail Wall 1 from left to right and apply your mullions to the vertical grid they will appear flipped. Your Mullion Family shows the little wing facing left and at the exterior side, but in the project it appears flipped if you draw it in the above manner.

You have two quick solutions.

1. Click on the curtain wall and flip it. Or

2. When you create the wall, hit the space bar and flip the wall prior to ending the wall command. Your mullions will now appear correctly.

See the attached word document for details, but in any event the application is working as designed, even if the end results do not appear as expected. 

Thank you,

Message 8 of 18

I disagree. It does not work "as expected". What I would expect is that if I draw a rectangular mullion profile with a little extension/protrusion to the right, at the lower portion of a vertical rectangular mullion, I would expect that if I draw a curtain wall in plan view, in a project, from left to right, this extension should appear on the right side, at the lower portion of the vertical rectangular mullion, in the same orientation that the mullion was created in the family editor. The issue is that the "up" and "down" "interior" "exterior" orientation of the family is not the same "North" and "South" in the project. This is confusing. I have worked closely with a curtain wall detailer for more than three years, and this has always been an issue. There are other inconsistencies like this one, such as in the generic adaptive template, where the "back" view is what is "front" in all other templates.

Message 9 of 18
alan.quinn
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for the additional information. If you like I’d suggest leaving feedback at the below link. Information gathered is used to improve the application.

Product Contact Link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Message 10 of 18
jonmcfarlandGY

Solution?

I'm not sure how this was set to Accept as Solution - I didn't do it.  I still don't see how it was answered.  When the mullions are flipped in the project opposite of how they are in the family.

Jon

Message 11 of 18
alan.quinn

The application is working as designed. Please send development feedback to the link I provided.  Thank you,

Message 12 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

The orientation between family editor and project should match. This reverse orientation of the mullion profile family in regards to the project is confusing. It works as designed, which does not mean it works as expected because it has to be flipped to be as expected.

Message 13 of 18

I have drawn a mullion profile for left and right jamb, it appears correctly in the profile family creator. To do this, I imported and exploded 2 separate CAD details that display in "fine" mode for each profile. Each is oriented correctly in the detail component, and the profile for the mullion traces those outlines to create the mullion in the curtain wall system.

Problem is, while the profile displays correctly in the editor, Revit decides to flip the detail on the left side (right displays correctly). In the family editor this is not the case. Both jambs appear as they should. In the project however, it doesnt matter which way I draw the wall, or flip the wall, or rotate the wall, the detail is flipped from the actual profile creating the model element in the project.

This makes no sense, I have tried recreating everything from CAD, 2 sepearate files for each jamb, imported them into a blank detail component template just to explode, change line types and purge, then copied and pasted into yet another detail component that I load into the profile family for the mullion.

Even after taking all those steps to ensure the detail is oriented correctly, Revit will flip just the detail and leave the profile alone once it is part of the curtain wall in the project. To make that even more clear, the profile is correct, the detail flips itself. This is despite the fact that the detail appears correctly in the profile family editor.

Any solutions for this problem? That seems like a bug as I have done everything possible to ensure the detail aligns with the profile, which the detail does when loaded into the profile family, yet flips in the project. AND, the detail is made completely of Revit lines, no CAD. Even the CAD I used was exploded in a separate family to convert into Revit lines and pasted into a new detail family that I import into the profile family.

Any ideas for this problem? I'll happily upload if Autodesk would take a look. I've been using Revit since 7.1 and haven't had in issue like this until 2014.

Message 14 of 18
tfells
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

You gotta be ****ting me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 15 of 18

Is still this issue open after so many years? 😕

Message 16 of 18

@federica.delsanto_SGB wrote:

Is still this issue open after so many years? 😕

Just tested and the issue still remains.  Left is right.  Maybe Revit create vertical mullions looking up instead of looking down.

Since a profile can be used for both vertical and horizontal, the family should also indicate top/bottom in addition to exterior/interior.

Message 17 of 18

I agree.. or even an easy control flip would be enogh..
Message 18 of 18

Wow, I hate to find what I was looking for has been a problem all these years. I am now making a right and a left mullion. Geeeezzzzzeeeee

Thanks y'all,

Donnia Tabor
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

CADMama and Revit Family Counselor
Twitter @DonniaTH

LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report