Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Label in Family in Revit 2011 like Attributes in blocks using AutoCAD

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
aturner77
5952 Views, 16 Replies

Move Label in Family in Revit 2011 like Attributes in blocks using AutoCAD

Is there a way to move a label nested in a Family in Revit 2011 ? Similar to how we can drag an attribute in AutoCAD that is part of a block.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
LisaDrago
in reply to: aturner77

You would need to get into the family to move the label. Depending upont he family - it may be nested and you will need to edit the piece you want to alter.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 17
jbayne
in reply to: LisaDrago

When I did a search I found this question and I am wondering if there is any other new thoughts on this. I am currently in Revit 2012, going to move to 2014 in a month or so. 

Is there a way to move text (label) in a family at the project level?   Are we stuck with editing the family to move text?

What if I have multiple families and I need the text in different positions for different instances?

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 17
rosskirby
in reply to: jbayne

You can place multiple instances of the same label in one family, and control which one shows up via visibility instance parameters in the family.  Take a look a the section head that comes with Revit for an example.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 17
jbayne
in reply to: rosskirby

What I am working with is not annotation families. It is Speciality Equipment. In the project we have to move text around because of soffitt lines or other items and I want to be able to move the name of the piece of equipment to the best location for readability. 

Message 6 of 17
LisaDrago

Are you just tagging the items using the tag command or are you trying to embed the tag in the family and then move it after you place the family?

The above suggestion on having the tag in several times and then use the visibility parameters to control which one is one is good if you want to embed it in the family.

Otherwise using tag command - you can place the tag where ever it works best.

Of am I missing something? If I am - can you add an image of what you are looking for.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 7 of 17
jbayne

First let me say thank you for the speedy replies. 

I do not have revit at my fingertips at the moment so please bear with me. If I can't explain this time then I will wait till I have revit open and post images to try to help. 

In the family I have labels for the parameters of Model and Manufacturer for the piece of equipment. When I load the equipment into a project there are visual conflicts from architectural lines (soffitt) that run through the label of the family.

It does not happen all the time and soffitt lines vary a lot so it would be difficult to find a location within the family for this text. 

Message 8 of 17
LisaDrago

I think I am following you -

They are embedded in the family...

I would suggest creating a tag that will have the information you are looking for.

You can start with a generic tag and then in the family you can change the category to specialty equipment. Then you can add the labels for Model and Manufacturer.

Once you loaded this into your project then you can tag the equipment and place the tag in an unobstructed way.

I have added a tag for reference. Nothing special but has the labels in for model and manufacturer.

LD

Message 9 of 17
jbayne

So to recap.

I should remove the labels(text) from the family but still fill in the parameters for Model and Manuf. Then in the project load the tag that will read the parameters from the family. Then as I place a piece of equipment I can tag it and then move the tag as needed for clarity. 

Message 10 of 17
LisaDrago

Exactly!

As long as the parameters are filed in - the tag will read them and display the information.

In the tag family, make sure the category is set correctly so it knows what it belongs to and that the text for the labels are set to the height and font you want.

You can customize the tag to display as needed - if there needs to a box around it or something different.

On the tag I attached previously - the model and manu. is in the same label - you can create two labels and put them in any order you need them to be.

LD

Message 11 of 17
jbayne

One final thing. 

I have marked the add kudos but I cannot find the  'accept as solution' button. 

Thank you for the time and patience. 

Message 12 of 17
bdardenLU52A
in reply to: rosskirby

Very, very late response but I am trying to find solution to this problem now.  Having to have multiple copies and locations of a label within a family is a ridiculous solution.  And so is eliminating the information associated with the family and tagging it instead.  Then I would have to tag it multiple times within the project instead of it just being a part of the family.  Seems like it should be very simple item to be able to include within my families - pulling the label to whatever location is necessary to graphically read within the drawings! 

Message 13 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: bdardenLU52A

You can sort of do it by nesting Label families in the model family.

Message 14 of 17
jbayne
in reply to: bdardenLU52A

Looking at the video below is one way of handling this issue. With us though we have over 150 families in a project so I am unsure how well the nested family solution would work for us. I may give it a try in the future but for now we are using tags for all families. If we need the tags on multiple sheets then we use copy paste and move the tags independently on each view.

One other plus is that with tags, if we have a section or elevation that we want to see the same information then we can just tag it in that view. Not sure if that would work with the label the same way

Message 15 of 17
Base12

Another example of this problem is with the electrical outlet family, that is also labeled as a GFI.  The "GFI" is just dumb text, no tags, or anything.  But it is locked in place, and almost always in the way of something else.  Same with the "3" in a 3-way switch.  That piece of text should be grippable to move to make readable - but it isn't.  Revit 2021.

Message 16 of 17
sonja.lilaj
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi TOANdn,

I am trying to replicate the video you attached but running into a problem.

When I bring the label into the family, I dont have those arrows that make it move. How do I achieve that please?

Message 17 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: sonja.lilaj

@sonja.lilaj wrote:

Hi TOANdn,

I am trying to replicate the video you attached but running into a problem.

When I bring the label into the family, I dont have those arrows that make it move. How do I achieve that please?

You need to place dimensions to the nested family and associate them with instance length parameters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report