Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify 3d models imported to Revit Architecture

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
poursamimi.1153501
3203 Views, 7 Replies

Modify 3d models imported to Revit Architecture

Hello 

I am in trouble with a 3d model  created by Autocad Architecture .

I created a 3d model of the shape of a building in Autocad and I want to import and use it in Revit Architecture as a Mass  , when I import it as dwg file it comes as a block and I can not modify it at all ! is there somebody that can guide me .

Thanks Man Surprised

Spoiler

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

That is the expected behavior.  You cannot modify an imported 3D object, with some exceptions in Revit 2014, without exploding the object first.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 8

Exactly ! I tried exploding before , but I receive this prompt :

Import contained 3D data or points which can't be exploded. Only 2D data was exploded. 

Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 8

Yeah, I'm sure it can be frustrating, but because the data that controls the object in CAD is so different from how objects are handled in Revit, there's not really a one-to-one translation.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you didn't just model it in Revit to begin with?  Could you post an image of what it is you're working on?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 8
ana214
in reply to: rosskirby

Hi, is there any kind of solution to this? I'm doing something similar and the DWG objects were created by a furniture company in Autocad and I'd like to use theirs in Revit and not have to recreate my own.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
rosskirby
in reply to: ana214

Sorry, still no change on this front.  You'll either have to use the geometry imported from CAD as-is, or re-create it in Revit.  You could assign separate elements in the CAD model to separate layers.  When you import the CAD model into Revit, you'll have material control over each CAD layer, if that's what you're after.

If you're looking for a way to alter an imported CAD file's geometry, you're out of luck.  Can't be done in Revit.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 8
ana214
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks!

Message 8 of 8

Hello sir,

I am also experiencing the same problem. after exploding 3d model object that is imported in Revit cant be modified. That means window in wall cant be moved. Some more issues like this. 

Can you help me on this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report