Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling masonry

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
david.rosen
1067 Views, 7 Replies

Modeling masonry

If I want various brick patterns on the exterior walls and i want to study it in 3D views, I have to create a wall for each different brick pattern, correct? Or, is there an easier way?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: david.rosen

@david.rosen wrote:

"create a wall for each different brick pattern, correct? Or, is there an easier way?"

You can assign a different brick pattern to different instances of 

the same wall.

Or you can render the one instance of that wall more than one

time, each with a different brick pattern.

Message 3 of 8
david.rosen
in reply to: Anonymous

So, do I need to duplicate the wall before assigning a different brick pattern. Is that what you mean by an instance of the wall, because to me that is a new wall. Thats ok, its how i would have done it unless there is a quicker way.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: david.rosen

What I mean by instance is just drawing the same wall

type in a different location. (An "instance" of that wall).

I'm not sure if you want to see the exact same wall rendered

with different bricks, or different pieces of the same wall

rendered with different bricks.

In any case, you can use the "paint" tool to paint any wall

finish to any piece of wall, wall type or any part of any wall.

When you click on the paint tool you get a list of all the

material finishes available to use on whatever surface

you paint it on, instead of going into the wall properties

and assigning a new material finish. 

Edit: You can also divide the surface area of a wall face, called

"split face", and have more than one kind of bricks stacked

on top of each other on the face of one wall.

You can also stack smaller bricks on top of larger bricks 

where the large bricks would be set out from the smaller

ones on top. That's called "stacked wall".

Message 5 of 8
david.rosen

I didnt realize paint would work on 3D models as well. that is definitely the quickest way to study masonry patterns as opposed to creating different walls to acheive that. perhaps I would do that for the final modal in order to cut accurate wall sections. maybe not. thankis!

Message 6 of 8
david.rosen

This is really exciting. All I have to do is define a bunch of materials with the patterns and colors I want to explore. Then I can create the model with generic walls because all I care about is the patterns on the outside walls. This makes the modeling process much more quicker.

Message 7 of 8

@david.rosen wrote:

I didnt realize paint would work on 3D models as well. that is definitely the quickest way to study masonry patterns as opposed to creating different walls to acheive that. perhaps I would do that for the final modal in order to cut accurate wall sections. maybe not. thankis!

How do you plan to "cut accurate wall sections" if you are applying materials as paint?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 8

Sections will come later.

As of now question is 'I want various brick patterns on the exterior walls and i want to study it in 3D views'.

For study purpose 'split and paint' is the first solution came to my mind.

One can apply different brick pattern on same wall in different parts and can easily do the comparision.

Once finalize on one, he can remove all others and proceed wth the next level (detailing where section comes in picture).

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report