Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Text

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
kate_vanhout
3267 Views, 9 Replies

Model Text

I am using Revit Architecture 2013 and I was wondering if there is a way to make model text vertical instead of horizontal? I am creating an address stone that we put on the front of our homes but the nunbers need to run vertically.  I am creating an address stone family and would like to be able to have the numbered address a changeable parameter but if I change the numbers they go back to being horizontal.  Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ccollins
in reply to: kate_vanhout

Individual Model Text letters stacked vertically?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ccollins

ccollins wrote:

"Individual Model Text letters stacked vertically?"

I would agree. Attached is an example family that can take a 3-digit number as a parameter value and then split it up amongst three separate Model Text elements. Revit 2013.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 10
kate_vanhout
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Sweet! Thanks so much, I had no idea you could have a formula like that... this is exactly what I was looking for! I don't think I would have been able to figure this out on my own!

Message 5 of 10

oh, if we just had a little bit of the same functions that were available in the old-an-good Autolisp, we didn't need to do those long formulas in Revit. If we just had something such as "stoi" (to convert string to integer), or "strcat" (for concatenating strings)... OK, I will keep dreaming...:smileysad:

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

The limitations of the formulaic functions is horrible thing, indeed, and has been one of my top 5 problems with Revit.

Take a peek at the attachment in this thread to see a monster I had created as a result...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Holy Cow! That is a monster formula. As I said, if we just had 1/10th of the functions that we used to have in that old programming language, formulas in Revit would be so much easier.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 10
David_W_Koch

Nice forumulas!  It is a pitty that the number to text formulas are necessary.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 10

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

oh, if we just had a little bit of the same functions that were available in the old-an-good Autolisp, we didn't need to do those long formulas in Revit. If we just had something such as "stoi" (to convert string to integer), or "strcat" (for concatenating strings)... OK, I will keep dreaming...:smileysad:

I would settle for the ability to use VBScript, like that "other" program has.  Converting numeric values to strings and string to numeric values (not to mention concatentation) are basic computer functions that have been around for a long time.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 10

Hi, David !

Yes, I know, but how come Revit does not have those basic functions? 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report