Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Survey and Project Base Points

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
charlv
18062 Views, 11 Replies

Missing Survey and Project Base Points

Hi all,

I have a drawing which crashes out of Revit 2013 SP2 as soon as I want to Rotate to True North. In fact if I use any tool under the Manage -> Location area.

This has never happen to me and I find very strange.

I had a closer look at the drawing and I cant find the Survey and Project Base points.I assume this is related.

I turned on their visibility in Visual Graphics. I tried turning them on by using the Reveal Hidden Objects. Typed ZA and I then selected all the info ( Crop View off )  and looked at the filter. No Survey or Base Points. I also tried setting the View Range very large but I still cannot see these Points. 

I know these points have been hard coded into the RVT files and I tried deleting them from another drawing as a test but couldn't.

Is there any way I can find them quickly? or getting them back?

I have cleaned up the drawing and I can upload the drawing (27MB ) if someone from Autodesk can assist?

Many thanks.

Charl

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
LisaDrago
in reply to: charlv

Have you tried Reveal Hidden Elements?

Most views it is hidden  by default.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 12
charlv
in reply to: LisaDrago

HI, Thanks for the reply but Ive tried that initially. No luck.

Message 4 of 12
awes

Hi, start by finding out where your rvt-origin is. Use annotate/spot coordinate and copy refplanes from this known point to 0,0,0. Just to be sure that your points are not there and if hey are - ta-daa!. If not, then we figure out some other method. Anders

Message 5 of 12
charlv
in reply to: awes

HI Thanks for the reply. I went back and tried your suggestion and still cannot find the Survey Base Point and Project Base Points at 0.0.0.

I also selected the Spot Coord dim and set its Edit Type from Survey Point to Project Base Point and it still read the same 0,0 value.

The actual problem is this file crashes as soon as I click on the Rotate True North and I think its related to the file not having these points.

I have sent the file to Autodesk and they will let me know.

Thanks

Message 6 of 12
LisaDrago

Rather interesting issue - can you post the fix when you get it?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 7 of 12
charlv
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi Lisa,

The cause of Revit crashing when Rotating True North was indeen the missing Survey and Base Points. A helpful Autodesk Employee requested the file and sent it to the developers who fixed the file.

I can now Rotate True North. 🙂

PS: The file was created in 2009 and upgraded to 2011 and then 2013 so it seems that in the older versions there were possibility to delete these points somehow. In the latest versions these points cannot be deleted.

Message 8 of 12
cwinches

Who did you send the file to? I'm having a similar issue where just the project base point is missing despite all combinations of visibile, reveal hidden, infinite crop, zoom extents, etc. No crashing and I'm able to rotate to true and project north but no base point!

Message 9 of 12
charlv
in reply to: cwinches

Hi,

Ive found the email in 2013 and see attached the details of the helpful Autodesk Employee. 

Regards,

Charl.

Message 10 of 12
pch.evrg

I manage to duplicate a SITE view, and the project base point was there for a few days. However it wasn't at the initial coordinates, not sure if it was not set correctly from the beginning.

Today, it is missing again, did the SITE view duplication again, but looks like the project base point is going missing forever. (Pretty sure the file was created before 2013 but after 2009)

To view the coordinates, Go to: 

Manage> Coordinates> Specify Coordinates at Point> Point at the intended Project Base Point, (view the coordinates, edit or save if necessary)

Message 11 of 12
charlv
in reply to: pch.evrg

HI,

I suggest you ask Autodesk to assist with upgrading the file as per my previous post. You can find the information of the Autodesk employee in the attachment. 

Hope you succeed.

Regards

Charl

Message 12 of 12
pch.evrg
in reply to: pch.evrg

The file is now in Revit 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report