Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical template in an architectural

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mpanonid
5879 Views, 4 Replies

Mechanical template in an architectural

Hello everybody!

I am a Mechanical Engineer and recently I received an architectural revit model. I tried to design the MEP drawings but I experienced a series of difficulties. I am used to work in files created from a mechanical template, where the mechanical families are alrady imported in the project and the pipe/ductworks are generated automatically.

The architectural model I have didn't initially have them installed and I couldn't design pipelines and ductworks automatically because the relevant fittings and accessories were missing. I tried to insert them manually but this didn't seem to work. Now I can see the mechanical families in the families section of the project browser but still I have to put the fittings manually and I cannot draw the pipework and ductwork automatically, which is very time inefficient.

Any help or idea would be welcome!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mpanonid

It seems to me that you are doing your mechanical work in the same Revit file that you received from the architect. Instead of that, create a new file using the mechanical template, and link the architect's model origin to origin, and then do your work.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
mpanonid
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks alfredo.

I think this is the right way to do it. I will give it a try.

This model I received from the architects is not the last one, there will be many changes. Do you think that if I link it to my mechanical template any change to the architects' model will appear to my file?

FYI we work on REVIT 2014 and we use worksharing, so we have a central model and everyone does changes to a local file and synchronizes it to the central one. I am thinking of creating a mechanical template, link it to the central model and work there. If I understood well, my file will be updated every time anybody makes changes to the central model but my mechanical template will not be available to the central model.

Message 4 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mpanonid

If your local file does not have the mechanical settings, another alternative is to transfer them from another blank file that you start with the mechanical template, using "Transfer Project Standards".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 5
mpanonid
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

If I transfer the project standards I quess that any previous standards won't be deleted, just the new ones will be installed.

I will try both ways and I will see which one is more efficient.

Thanks for the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report