Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials and thermal assets

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dcormack
1096 Views, 3 Replies

Materials and thermal assets

I am having a go at adding thermal assests in the material editor to see how well the thermal resistance of assembiles is reported eg wall, roof and floors.

First of all by default (uing 2013) the browser materials dont have have thermal assests applied. Then drilling down into the range of physical assests dont seem to have correct thermal conductivities (eg glass fibre batt at  0.019 - should be more like 0.032-0.04).

As it is provided it would nice if the assets out of the box were more accurate. Is there any way of getting round this without having to manually check each materail asset?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AJA14
in reply to: dcormack

Hi, When it comes to assets, these are not the same you see in the material browser. They are different entities that you add to your material.

Go to manage, Additional Settings, Material Assets. Then add a new thermal asset and you will find all different types of glass. Choose the one you are looking for and add it and check it.

Once you make sure you have the correct asset with the correct properties, you would then add the asset to the material itself from the material editor/browser.

My advice: Create your own library and add the materials that you need and try not to change the existing parameters.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 4
dcormack
in reply to: AJA14

Thanks but thats not the issue as agree its quite straightforward to add in this case a thermal asset. Yes I am browsing in the physical assets part and then adding a theremal asset and by default there isnt a thermal asset in the materials browser. I am querying why the outofthebox assets are inaccurate and instead of reinventing a whole list and manually applying K values, emmisivity is there a resource out there with all this done for a decent range of materials. eg concrete masonry in the UK will tend to categorze quite readily with different manufacturers producing what to all intents and purposes are generic products with comparible K values. Same with insulation materials.

Message 4 of 4
AJA14
in reply to: dcormack

I agree with you. But when you think about it, you should take into consideration that the thermal assets provided are based on the material available in the US and this material library is the same for all Autodesk products. In addition, I noticed that there are many different types of glass added for thermal assets and as such you might have what you're looking for already included. Other than that, you have no choice but to create your own.

However, if certain properties are wrong altogether, then we need to inform Autodesk in order to make the necessary corrections. As such, I would submit a request to Autodesk regarding this issue.

Regards.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report