Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material / Texture on cut surfaces ?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MKEllis
3472 Views, 8 Replies

Material / Texture on cut surfaces ?

Been doing a couple of renders of a section through a wall with an external rain-screen cladding.

Is there any way to alter the appearance / alignment of the texture shown in the cut surface (not the main surface - I can define that OK via the material).

Ideally I would like a realistic view of a material - but something that looks more like a cut CMU rather than the usual surface.

Failing that - is it possible to use a flat consistent colour through all cut surfaces (ie all white) ?

I know I could do that last one in Photoshop - but it will be a real painstaking process.

Thanks
Martin

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

OK - it transpires that you can overide the cut material - using Poche - I had never heard of the term before, and hence hadn't searched for it.

I've worked out how to overide the 3d view to use the Poche material - but it only works under Coarse detail views.

Is there a way of assigning it to Fine Detail views ?

I tried overiding the detail level in Visibility Graphics - but once an object has been forced to Fine (rather than host view - coarse) that object does not show the Poche material. So Poche use is determined by an objects detail level, not the overall view property.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Martin

Message 3 of 9

It can be done in all Visual Styles (even in Ray Trace ) using Filters, but not in Rendering....:

in a 3d section view :

1. View>Filters>New>Filter Name>Use Current Selection or Select - select all the entities (that are cuted) >select
  2. Properties>Visibilities/Graphics Override >Edit> Visibility/Graphic Override for 3d....>Filters >Add>Add Filter>Override Cut >Patterns - change the appearance of the cut pattern...

Image 351.png

Image 352.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 4 of 9

Photoshop can then be used to select all those red pixels (select by color range) and overlay/mask the original rendered photo.
If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Message 5 of 9
MKEllis
in reply to: Rave.Tam

Thanks -  I could render a coarse view - followed by the fine view, and set up a mask from the coarse render using whatever colour the Poche was set to, but I'm still stuck when it comes to those elements that aren't seen in the coarse view. Not sure if there is an easy way to switch those elements to show ?

Martin

Message 6 of 9

Thanks Constantin,

That will help me to generate a few screen grabs from the view, still struggling with the rendered image though.

Looks like a bit of a non-starter.

All the best,

Martin

Message 7 of 9

It could be a method to change the colors of cutted surfaces in rendering if you accept to do it in Max.  In 3ds Max you can edit materials at the subobject level:

If you accept this method :

1. from the sectioned 3d view in Revit > Application Menu > Export >FBX > save the file
  2. In 3DS Max (Design) > Import the FBX file you have saved in step 1
  3. (after changing the light to Daylight ) select one cutted entity ( it is no more a wall o floor, etc ,it is simple a Editable Mesh , even if it preserves the name of Revit entity)
  4. Now in Editable Mesh you can select subobjects - faces of the Mesh and from Materials > drag a colored material ( I used a green color )to the sectioneded faces of the Mesh
  5. Repeat the operation for all the cutted entities (meshes)
  6. Render - the rendered image is now as you wanted to be...

it looks that it is similar to what is made in Photoshop, but no!...you can here rotate the sectioned 3d and render again >  the colors and material are preserved

Image 353.png

Image 354.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 8 of 9
Rave.Tam
in reply to: MKEllis

You can follow Constantin method and override selected elements cut pattern. Then you can use Detail View.
If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Check out my blog http://lazcad.com
Message 9 of 9

Thanks Constantin,

Hadn't thought of 3ds Max - I use it less now I'm using Revit - but that should work a treat. Shame there doesn't appear to be the flexibility in Revit to do it, but 3ds Max should provide a part solution.

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report