Valued Contributor
EnlInt
Message 1 of 3 (378 Views)
Accepted Solution

Material Take Off - Weight Visible Parts

378 Views, 2 Replies
10-07-2013 02:07 AM

Community,

I was hoping to do a material takeoff for weight calculations. I use families where some parts are hidden depending on use. As an example I have frames were if two of those frames are next to eachother the left or right part of one of those frames will not be used. I use a visible parameter to hide that part. I use Material: Volume and Material: Density to calculate the weight of the frames.

Unfortunately the material take off seems to use the hidden parts for calculations So if I hide part of the family the weight in the material take off does not change.

Am I missing something? Or is there an easy workaround?

I have done weight calculations inside the family, however it requires many parameters and many formulas to get proper resuts.

Thanks in advance for your input.

LM

Valued Contributor
EnlInt
Message 2 of 3 (359 Views)

Re: Material Take Off - Weight Visible Parts

10-07-2013 03:52 AM in reply to: EnlInt

After further reviewing I found the problem/solution.

In the families I use other nested families. In the parent familiy I switch of the visibility setting of the nested (child) family. However this means that the objects/material inside the nested family itself is not hidden. The solution therefore is to use the visbility setting of all the objects insde the nested family and use parameters to control the visibility of all the objects inside the nested family.

Hope this will save other people some time.

LM

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 3 of 3 (357 Views)

Re: Material Take Off - Weight Visible Parts

10-07-2013 03:54 AM in reply to: EnlInt

hidding acts only in specific views ...

If you want that some of the objects not to appear in Schedule and in Material Takeof , then apply Filter (can be Comments, Mark , Description)  - in my example a Filter by Comments....

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube