Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masonry Openings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tbroom
406 Views, 5 Replies

Masonry Openings

How can I place a window in a masonry wall and have a masonry opening that is larger than the size window?

Thad Broom, AIA
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
melarch
in reply to: tbroom

You have to create an additional cut in the Window family to have it cut the wall back on either side fo the window opening. Time to learn to work with families. You could also create an in-place Void set to the Wall category and use the Cut Geometry tool button to cut a brick return out of the wall for each window, but this would have to be done for each and every window, so it would be easier and more efficient to develop the cut/void in the window family directly.

Mel Persin, aia Edited by: melarch@comcast.net on Apr 9, 2009 7:55 AM
Message 3 of 6
melarch

You have to create an additoinal cut in the Window family to have it cut the wall back on either side fo the window opening. Time to learn to work with families. You could also create an in-place Void set to the Wall category and use the Cut Geometry tool button to cut a brick return out of the wall for each window, but this would have to be done for each and every window, so it would be easier and more efficient to develop the cut/void in the window family directly.

Mel Persin, aia
Message 4 of 6
tbroom

Thanks, Mel. I will try that. I tried making my own window family where I changed the opening parameters to masonry openings and added new ones for the actual window but this is awkward.
Thad Broom
Message 5 of 6
tbroom

Mel, I tried to put a void extrusion in the wall of the window family but can't do it. How do I do what you suggested?

Thad Broom, AIA
Message 6 of 6
tbroom

OK, figured it out Mel. That works perfectly. Thanks a lot.

Thad Broom, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report