Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Sample Project files

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
4317 Views, 15 Replies

Looking for Sample Project files

We are getting started with this program. I was wondering where we could find some 'sample' revit projects. We have gone through the tutorials and manuals, but in the end there are many questions about how one would actually create a complete set of plans for a project with this program.

So if there is a place or donor where we could see what a real, complete set of plans would like like in Revit, it would really help us to understand how people are 'really' using it to get a real project done. Then we can do some reverse engineering and backtracking to see how the pieces are put together.

Any takers or online sources for such a sample 'real project'?
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Depending upon the "complexity, you are talking about files that are in the 130 to 250 meg range. Also, currently, to most firms, the libility in allowing others to have access to the model(s) is not clear. There is also the issue of intellectual property, since there can be literally hundreds of custom made families in a model, and as such, many are reluctant to just "give away" the hundreds of man-hours, not to mention the expertise required to create some of the more complex families.

I used AutoCAD, then Architectural Desktop for 18 years before beginning to use Revit 5 years ago. Now, I'll probably NEVER work for another firm that is not actively using Revit. This firm is actively working to cease using structural and MEP consultants that do not, or will not use Revit on our large Collegiate projects.

Good Luck in your endeavors to learn the Revit program.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Scott:

As a practicing Architect, I am fully aware of all of the points that you bring up.

And I'm really not looking for a 'free ride'. Just interested to to get a snapshot of what a nicely organized Revit project looks like. Doesn't need to be a monster project.

After many years of using ACAD and Microstation, I know how a good set of plans using those systems fits together. We don't have a lot of view on what a 'good' revit set looks like, that's all.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

I may be able to get a set of PDF's made of the sheets from a Revit Project. I am not permitted to post ANY model from the current employer, due to the afore mentioned issues. I have a decent project from a previous employer, that I might be able to produce full size PDF's from, if you are interested in that. Then I can answer your questions concerning how it was produced if you have any.

Scott Womack AIA
Project Manager
WTW Architects
Pittsburgh, PA
swomack@wtwarch.com
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Scott-

I too would love to see and example set of construction drawings if at all possible. That is one thing I have noticed with all the demos and tutorials of Revit is that no one ever really shows how to build the project. It is always the rendered models that get all the glory. That's all fine, but how do we get to that finished product without any construction documents to assemble the building?

Thanks!

Matthew Kyle
KEPHART Architects
Denver, CO

matthewk***at***kephart***dot***com
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

I have a bunch of revit models on my blog www.revit3d.com and I am about to add some more for MEP and Structure, as well as adding some Navisworks samples. You can go directly to http://bimboom.blogspot.com/search/label/Samples to download them.
If you subscribe to the blog, you'll know immediately when I add the new samples.
Message 7 of 16
dimtick

I highly recommend getting whatever training is available in your area.
we found it to be well worth the money. Changing your thought process from 2d Autocad to Revit & BIM is a very challenging process and having a real person guide you can be a life saver.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

One thing our company has found is that not all training is the same. Many Revit trainers are new and teaching out of the book without the construction background to know how buildings go together. Lucky for us, we have the number 1 in Florida & number 4 in the country Revit trainer. If you can't find local trainers or aren't happy with the quality of training or tech support, we offer live webcast training for Revit Archictecture, Structure and MEP, as well as rendering, implementation and family content creation. Without making this sound like a sales pitch, I do want to offer you the guarantee of your success with the migration to Revit. Contact me if you'd like more info: revit3d+training@gmail.com Edited by: Arkin1 on Oct 23, 2008 8:28 PM
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Scott:

Thank you for the offer. Thing is, we know how a good set of CD's looks. We are looking for insight in how a smart office sets up the guts of a working project inside of revit. Sounds like we'll just have to start paddling as always! And it does seem that in the end, revit puts a lot of structure onto where / how the information needs to be 'located' in a project.

gt1000
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Arkin:

That is an interesting blog. I recognize a few things from the tutorials, but there seems to be a whole lot of other things I've not seen, so thanks!

gt
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I guess I'm not completely following you. If you mean there are differing ways that Revit can present information, that is true just like AutoCAD. There are some ways that changing the traditional location/method of conveying the information to the contractor will make using Revit vastly more efficient, is extremely true. Either you need to add a very experienced Revit Architect to your staff + quality TRAINING, or you will need to accept some substantial changed in the appearance of your documents for a few projects until your staff learns the program better. That was true of the change from Hand drafting to original CAD more than 20 years ago (Unfortunately having worked through that period). It will be even more true with the actual change to a true BIM implementation. True BIM meaning using the information in the model for more automation in initial programing, creating specifications, in cost estimating, in alternates and in presentations, and in the actual fabrication of building components from the model. All of this will take another 5, 10, to 20 years in our industry to accomplish all phases, but you've got to start taking the first steps at some point.

(Sorry for preaching, I'm chairman of the local Revit User's Group) Using this forum, plus AUGI.com religiously, as well as initial outside training, as well as on-going internal training will help minimize the swimming. Also attending Autodesk University can be a huge help in make the waters fell shallower.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Again, thanks for the advice Scott.

Up to this point, I've become adept at VersaCAD MAC and PC, Microstation/Triforma MAC and PC, and AUTOCAD/ADT/ACA. And with every one of these programs you just learn what the program is good at and what it's not, and just go with it.

So on to the Revit. We are rolling our first projects, and look forward to the whole Revit deal. Until something better comes along.

Message 13 of 16
navseaft31

I know this thread is 3 years old. I was hopeing that you had some luck and now some experience using Revit in a production environment.

I run a small architectrual firm and have begun using Revit for everything. It would be nice to see a complete set of plans (permitted through the city).

I am interested in properly setting up my template files and also completing a full set of construction documents.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Jeremy

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Where can I get a templit project with pointe etc.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Where can I get a sample project to go with tutorial pointe etc.

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Sample Project files from autodesk to go along with the Tutorial

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report