Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links-sharing tools in Revit 9.0 +

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
amatosfermin
175 Views, 8 Replies

Links-sharing tools in Revit 9.0 +

How does the "link" tool works in Revit? Consider a project with several types of buildings in one site, is it possible that user #1 works on Bldng. #1 while user #2 and #3 work on Bldngs #2 and #3 respectively, and in another file ,let's say Xfile.rvt, can i insert each one of the Bldng. like linked objects, and get constant updates from each one of the users?
Something else. If this operation is possible, is it possible to combine with the sharing tools?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: amatosfermin

yes that is how linked rvt files work.

"sharing tools" ? not sure what you are referring to.

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
708.342.1250 x.225

New to DWF? Check it out!
http://www.arete3.com/services/communication.html
select "ARCHITECTURE" - "File Formats"

wrote in message news:5397348@discussion.autodesk.com...
How does the "link" tool works in Revit? Consider a project with several
types of buildings in one site, is it possible that user #1 works on Bldng.
#1 while user #2 and #3 work on Bldngs #2 and #3 respectively, and in
another file ,let's say Xfile.rvt, can i insert each one of the Bldng. like
linked objects, and get constant updates from each one of the users?
Something else. If this operation is possible, is it possible to combine
with the sharing tools?
Message 3 of 9
amatosfermin

Thanks Brian 4 your response. I refer to team work or woksets.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

worksets can be enabled and used in any of the rvt files, linked or not.

--
Brian Earsley
www.arete3.com
708.342.1250 x.225

New to DWF? Check it out!
http://www.arete3.com/services/communication.html
select "ARCHITECTURE" - "File Formats"

wrote in message news:5397379@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks Brian 4 your response. I refer to team work or woksets.
Message 5 of 9
rrvm

Lets say Building 1 has 3 units. 3 Person can work on each unit. Once everybody is done on the individual units , then this is the time to use the to Import link each unit to create Building 1. Got it? Before you import link, be sure to close each unit.
Message 6 of 9
amatosfermin

Thanks rrvm. this is a great tool. It' is where BIM goes ahead cad.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

We're doing this now. We have a project that has 14 separate revit files. Each file defining a different building on a campus.

We have all 14 revit files linked into a main composition file. We have developed a unified shared coordinate system which defines the location of each building within the site. Did you know that you can publish a coordinate system to another file once you have linked it in.

If you are using worksets, be sure to link in the central file of each revit project, not the local user copy. Therefore everytime you update your links, you will see the changes in your main composition file.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

--Regards

Marcus Kim, AIGA
SOM Digital Design Message was edited by: dydx
Message 8 of 9
rrvm

That's right, I have worked and did same on our towmhome
project, the only gripe i have is the regen time. It takes a long time and everytime I find something to change I have to go and wait to that regen/ refresh to go thru.
Another thing, I have to close each unit for the linking process to deliver (everytime)
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

You could cut down on regen time for a view by optimizing a particular view to only display the models that you need. You can shut off models that you don't need in the view in Visibility Graphics.

You would obvioulsly have to bite the bullet in the case you are showing an overall site plan with all of your building models turned on.

Unfortunately you can only do so much with better hardware because Revit is not compliant with a 64 bit OS therefore you are limited to 3GB ram, and your graphic card only does so much because the current Revit only needs to use OpenGL to regenerate the objects and does not really take advantage of all the processing power within a high end graphics card. Hopefully things will change with release 10.

--Regards

Marcus Kim, AIGA
SOM Digital Design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report