Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Revit is grayed out

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
Bittlelum1
28622 Views, 26 Replies

Link Revit is grayed out

I have a 2011 Revit model open that contains one linked revit file that was present when I get the model.

I need to add another linked Revit file but the Insert>Link Revit selection if not available to me (greyed out).

Why is this like this and how do I get revit linking to turn on again?

This file is in Revit Server.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
ccollins
in reply to: Bittlelum1

Probably a quirk with Revit Server?

See if you can place the new file you need to Link into the Revit Server Admin Console,

by Saving it into the Revit Server Models folder on the C: drive of the Central Revit Server (assuming you have access to it.)--so it is also on the Central Revit Server location.

Then try Linking it from your "Local Revit Server"--Local user location.

Seems like you should be able to link in a Revit file from any Local Revit Server domain as well?

Are all Local and Central Revit Servers on the same domain in a WAN?

Or--separate domains using VPN?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 27
Bittlelum1
in reply to: ccollins

The additional link file is already in Revit Server and is a new Revit MEP model we created here.

All users are on the same domaine.

The problem is that the option to Link Revit  is greyed out so I cannot select it.

I have two other projects which are in Revit Server and I am having no problem with them.

The only thing that is different is the the original Architectural model came to me from another contractor and was originally in 2010. The model already has a link to the structural model and it works. I just cannot link another Revit model. Cad Links (for dwg) are alive and working.

Message 4 of 27
ccollins

Is the additional link file on the Central Revit Server, or a Local Revit Server? Is it a Workset enabled / Central File file?

just brainstorming WHY it's greyed out in Insert Revit Link dialog....................

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 27
Bittlelum1
in reply to: ccollins

The Revit MEP model is on the Central server and workset enabled (would have to be to get it into Revit Server). All users on the system can load the Revit MEP file through their local Server without difficulty.

I appreciate your brainstorming.

Message 6 of 27
aruckerY7D6L

I understand this is an old topic but since there was no answer for it I figured I'd chime in for anyone else having the issue and finds this thread. I had this issue (Revit 2018) and found that if I changed to a 3D view then the "ADD" option would be available again.

Message 7 of 27
s.borello

Time to upgrade.

Message 8 of 27
adamh
in reply to: aruckerY7D6L

Glad I found this, couldn't figure out why the "Add" was greyed out. It will not let me link a Revit file if I only have a title page open. It needs to be in 3D, or have a drawing open. Thank you! 

Message 9 of 27
ToanDN
in reply to: adamh

You cam only link another Revit file when a model view is open. Your Title page sounds like a Sheet, not a model view.
Message 10 of 27
travispremo

You get the Grape Job sticker today. I was banging my head against the wall until I saw this. One of those "no-duh" moments. Thank you for posting a reply!

Message 11 of 27

THANK YOU! 

I just ran into the same issue and this solved it. 

Message 12 of 27
ELawson

Holy cow, that's so weird that that solution works. 

Message 13 of 27
A-Wise

That worked for me also.

Just needed to be in a 3D view.

Thank you

Message 14 of 27

thanks for the 3D idea, as mental as it sounds it worked perfectly (Revit 2018)

Message 15 of 27
msingh4ZPA8

HI, You have to double click in view port and gray out option shall automatically activate in manage links.

Message 16 of 27
ahockley

Wow.  Glad I read this.  I've been stumped on this one.  Thanks!

Message 17 of 27
michael-mad

This thread is ten years old. A decade of Autodesk just sitting by passively, collecting huge rents, doing nothing to make this workflow more intuitive. The nerve of letting PAYING customers regularly discover and "solve" glaring ux errors in it's own software- and then not fixing it in the next 8 versions. I never in a million years would've stumbled on the solution myself. 

Message 18 of 27
RobDraw
in reply to: michael-mad

Not everyone has this problem. In fact, I've never seen or even heard of it and every project I've done in Revit has had at a least one link. Such things are not usually software issues so as such Autodesk cannot be responsible for these kind of user issues.

Next time you want to complain, find the product feedback page or go down the hall and to the left for the complaint department.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 19 of 27
don.munro3KBDK
in reply to: RobDraw

Okay folks, Robdraw has decided that it isn't necessary to put any more issues in this forum any more because he isn't having any problems himself. Glad that's all sorted out

Message 20 of 27
RobDraw
in reply to: don.munro3KBDK

@don.munro3KBDK wrote:

Okay folks, Robdraw has decided that it isn't necessary to put any more issues in this forum any more because he isn't having any problems himself. Glad that's all sorted out

I'm pretty sure I said that complaints do not belong here.

Got a question? Ask away. Got a complaint? Go someplace else. This is a user help forum, not a personal blog.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report