Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legend Scale

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chris_pitt
6509 Views, 8 Replies

Legend Scale

Hi

Revit has just made me very cross!

I've drawn a Legend at 1:1 added it to a sheet which contains a 1:500 plan and it's made the title block show "As indicated" for the scale!

In this context I'm happy to redraw the legend at 1:500 to overcome the issue, although for the record, I think it's dumb that the scale of the legend should impinge as it has.

What if I have a series of drawings, say fire plans, at different scales all requiring the same legend?  Am I supposed to accept "As indicated" or am I supposed to create a series of legends at different scales?

Any thoughts beyond "that's just the way it works"?

Regards

Christopher Alan Pitt

Frank Shaw Associates

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: chris_pitt

"As indicated" appears when the views in the titleblock do not use the same scale. But ithis should not be a problem, since each view has its own scale shown in the View Title, anyway.

For legends, it makes sense to use another type of View Title that does not show the scale.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
allan.johnston

I had the same problem.  At least I think this is what you're after.  This is how I solved my non-matching Legend & Sheet scales. 

1. In your Sheets view, double-click the View Port with your legend. 

2. In the Properties panel, note that you're working with the Legend: legend name

3. Find Identity Data -> View Template -> click a button with the name of the template you want to change the scale for.

4. Find Parameter -> View Scale, change Value to match the scale of your Sheet.  (i.e. My Sheet scale was 1:100, but my Legend scale was 1:50, changed it to 1:100.) 

Not sure if this is what you were after.  Hope it helps. 

Message 4 of 9
Kimtaurus

We've had the same issue at our office.

My solution was to adapt the titleblock, we've added a text parameter called "New Scale" which is hidden by default.

When there are 2 views with different scales on a sheet, we select this parameter to be visible in the titleblock (the standard scale parameter is hidden with a NOT statement). Next we type the necessary scale in the parameter for the titleblock.

When you have a lot of sheets, this method requires some manual work typing in all the scales, but at least there's a proper scale in the titleblock.

@Alfredo_Medina if there's only 1 view (not counting the legend) we don't show the View Title, so in these cases it would be nice if Revit ignored the scale of the legend.

in reply to: Kimtaurus

Having the scale in the titleblock is not necessary, in my opinion. The information about the scale is included in the title of each view. So, showing that information in the titleblock is not useful. I would not spend precious time in that task, especially if that involves typing a value on multiple sheets.

in regards to legends on sheets, since legends don't need to have a scale, the type of its view title should be changed to the type called "no title".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 9
Kimtaurus
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

In Belgium it's custom to indicate the scale in the titleblock.

And really, the legend view's scale should be seen as secondary on a sheet, the titleblock should ignore it's scale.

I've found an Revit Idea about this issue https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/prevent-sheets-to-pick-up-the-scale-of-legend-views/idi-p...

It already has +120 votes, so maybe Autodesk will consider it in the future.

in reply to: Kimtaurus

Just curious, what do you do in Belgium when a sheet contains viewports of different scales? You write all the scale values in the titleblock? and does the title of each viewport show the scale too? 

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Can't speak for Belgians but we indicate the typical scale on the TB and add U.O.N. suffix.  Views with typical scale do not show the scale in the view title.  Only views with non typical scales has the their scale indicated in the view title.  I am not a big advocate of the convention but you win some lose some.  I can accept the setback.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report