Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landscape : Managing the built environment outside the walls

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
nikana2000
994 Views, 6 Replies

Landscape : Managing the built environment outside the walls

I'm looking to develop a (rudimentary) set of landscape architectural drawings for a mix-use project.  I've done the best I can in searching the forum and other sources in how to handle this, but I have some specific questions.

1) Is it possible to create a 'discipline'?  I was going to use the "coordination" selection, but I'd rather make a "Landscape" option if possible.  

2) What would be the best way to set up the landscape architecture in the model so that it can be quickly toggle on/off?  The premise here is to be able to keep the building model 'light' when working on the Architectural design, but have the ability to render views etc. w/ the landscape.  Would this be better to incorporate as a 'link'?

Thanks in advance,

/using RA2011 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ryan.duell
in reply to: nikana2000

I have organized some related information below to your questions:

1.  You cannot create a new Discipline, as these are hard-coded Revit parameters.  The Coordination Discipline may be the best for this scenario for you.

2.  I would recommend using a link for the landscape.  All of the elements would be contained in one file, which you could easily unload project wide or simply keep it off by default in a particular view.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 7
nikana2000
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thanks Ryan for the response.

In regards to using a link for the landscape, I'm finding some conflicting issues with another file for unit layouts I am linking to the main building file.  The error refers to the file already being linked elsewhere, and requires unlinking.

Here's how I have the files structually organized (in terms of links) :

- main building file

+ unit layout file

+ landscape file

- unit layout file

+ main building file

- landscape file

+ main building file

Message 4 of 7
ryan.duell

Make sure a link, which may be used in another file as a reference is set to Overlay versus Attachment in the Manage Links dialog.  Specifically if it comes back into the same file; this should avoid the error.

Also for the site toposurface specifically, make sure to keep in mind the building pad must reside in the same file as the toposurface.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 5 of 7
nikana2000

Yes, the links are all "Overlay".

At the moment I'm working on the 'unit layout' file, and I see there's an exterior wall I want to adjust on the 'main building' file.  When I attempt to open the 'main building' file to make the minor adjustment, I get the following warning ;

"This file is linked into one or more open documents. Opening

it in the current session will uload it as a link. Proceed?"

If I choose "Yes", another warning pops up :

"Unloading a link cannot be undone. Do you want to

continue?"

Inversely,... if I have the 'main building' file open, and try opening the 'unit layout' file, the resulting error is :

"Linked file cannot be reloaded because it is loaded into

another open document."

It seems inconvenient to have to close down the project each time an adjustment is made to a linked file.

Understanding that Revit is unique, this inability of linking files is inconsistant w/ other Autodesk products (eg. AutoCAD/Architecture, 3DSmax/viz, etc.)  I hope this will be further investigated and improved in future releases.

Message 6 of 7
ryan.duell

Correct; you cannot have a linked file open in the same session of Revit if the host is also open.  Instead, open 2 sessions of Revit.  One you can keep the host open, and in the second session of Revit you can open any links that are loaded in the host without warning.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 7 of 7
nikana2000

Thanks Ryan,... more ammunition for my battle in requesting a newer, more powerful computer. ;D

/using a 6-year old, dual xeon 3.0 Dell Precision

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report