Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping embedded generic annotation facing the same angle when rotating a family

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ArynBergman
3125 Views, 7 Replies

Keeping embedded generic annotation facing the same angle when rotating a family

I would like to embed a tag as generic annotation within a family so that I can control the visibility of the tag based upon a type shared parameter within the family.  However, when I rotate or mirror the family the text and labels within the tag change positions, go backwards, flip upside down, no matter what combiniation of "Keep readable" and Rotate with "Rotate with component" I try.

I've attached a picture of the way I would like to have the tag look, regardless of which direction the family is facing.  Does anybody know how to either:

1.  Make the embedded generic annotation maintain the correct orientation

or

2. Control a tags visibility based upon a shared parameter within the associated family?Correct Facing Tags.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

What if you simply avoid mirroring the family, and simply copy the family? Doing that will keep the family simple, small, easy to edit, and just using one type. Annotation families don´t have flip controls like model families do. You could try to put more parameters to control this, but that will complicate the family and will probably require two types. Maybe not worthy if you could simple copy the annotation.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8

The family isn't symmetrical and I have to be able to either rotate or mirror it to show it facing in different directions.  The text changes position whether I use rotate or mirror.

Message 4 of 8

Yes, but if you mirror the family, the L that is on the left is going to be on the right. ( I added more comments to my previous post).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 8

That's what I'm trying to avoid.  For example when you mirror a family with it's tag, the tag's text maintains it's orientation.  But I can't seem to find a way to control a tag's visibility with a shared parameter within the associated family.

Message 6 of 8

Shared parameters are not possible within generic annotation families. You could control the visibility of elements with yes/no family parameters.

Message 7 of 8
AJA14
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi. Just a suggestion to complement to what Alfredo has said. You need to create 4 different texts within the family and then provide a visibility parameter to control which text will be visible according to orientation of family. This is somewhat similair to the reinforcement symbol for shell elements in revit strucutre. The major and minor directions decide on which text is showing. So you would need to create 4 visibility parameters and lock them to the tag orientation. Maybe that would work.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 8 of 8
amorap
in reply to: ArynBergman

Hi all, the first, sorry for my bad english (I'm from Spain)

I have had the same problem, and the solution I've found is:

1- Edit the generic annotation family (the one that you embed in your host family)
2- In Parameters & category, chek the keep text legible checkbox
3- save and update changes to your host famaily

I hope it works for you.

Augusto Mora
Architect & teacher of Building Projects at CPIFP Pirámide. Huesca (Spain).
Revit 2014 certified profesional.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report