Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Walls / Floors Priority of structural layers

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
MKEllis
15337 Views, 5 Replies

Joining Walls / Floors Priority of structural layers

Hi, I know I have asked a variant of this question before - but this is slightly different and a bit more specific, so I've posted it in a separate thread.

I am placing a couple of different floor types in a building (ground floor) - and they differ in the way they should interact with the surrounding walls.

I've attached an image that shows the issue.

In most cases my floors (ground bearing slabs) should stop at the walls and allow structural internal walls to continue un-interupted to foundation level. However when placing the floor around the building perimeter - the resultant section shows floors and walls crossing (B in image). Joining the floor / walls results in A where most of the construction performs the way I wish it to. The structural slab however still passes through the wall.

Is there a way of making the wall structural layer over-ride the floor structural layer (an equivalent to the WALL JOIN tool where you can cycle through the options). Ideally I want the internal structural blockwork wall (A) to act as (C).

I know that I can use individual floor boundaries and manually stop the floors at the wall edges - but obviously that will be far too much work - I would rather use the permiter and control the way that floor / walls ineract.

Many thanks

Martin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

try :Modify >Join >Switch Join Order ....it will work...

Image 080.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

Thanks Constantin - is that a 2014 feature ? I'm modelling in 2013 at the moment and I can't find that option.

Thanks,

Martin

Message 4 of 6
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

Thanks a lot Constantin. OK - fired up 2014 - and the 'Swtich Join Order' appears there.

As ever with Revit, that solves the join / priority issue but introduces another problem.

My wall has a plaster finish to each side - that now carries on down to foundation level (the Switch Join Order seems to act on the whole wall rather than just the structural layers of the assemblies.

For one sided plaster walls - Under the Type>Edit>Structure> I could [Modify] and unlock the lower edge of plaster to raise the bottom edge. But it will only do that to one side - not both.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Martin

Message 5 of 6

As , usualy , what you want is a 2d (Vertical Section) ...maybe the ultimate solution of : View > Cut Profile is not a bad choice...of course it is only a 2d per View solution...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Thanks again Constantin,

Both of the methods you suggest are probably the best way dealing with those joins.

The only other method - that in a way solves all the problems - is to place the floors individually and alter them to suite as to whether they join walls (finishing the floor boundary at the internal core face for ex. keeps the wall running through to foundation level - even when joined). For anything above a smallish building - placing floors individually is going to be a pain in the butt.

Your method achieves everything I need - and then I just need to tweak the 2d detail view to remove the plaster / extend the blockwork to foudnation level.

Many thanks again for your help.

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report