Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues linking cad file to Revit

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
vanderloo5
670 Views, 10 Replies

Issues linking cad file to Revit

I have a project where a client wants me to draw some water features in a large commercial project currently under construction. He sent me the architects site plan to enable me to get the correct placement of the fountains. But, for whatever reason, the buildings where the features are going did not come through with the link?? I checked the autocad file to see if any layers were turned off or frozen and they're not. Can anyone help me out on this one.See attachment. Thank You
Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
gustavomello
in reply to: vanderloo5

Attachment is missing.

Gustavo
Message 3 of 11
vanderloo5
in reply to: gustavomello

Here's the attachment but I think the problem is that the .dwg site plan was sent to me with xref overlays which I can view fine in autocad, but when I link to revit, the xrefs aren't there. THe xrefs weren't sent over with the transmittal.
Message 4 of 11
vanderloo5

I guess the screenshot attachment doesn't want to go through with this post??
Message 5 of 11
gustavomello

Yes, i still can´t see the attachment. But, if you can see the xref'd elements in autocad can't you bind it and then link to revit? (i don't know autocad very well, so sorry if this is a stupid question)

Message 6 of 11
vanderloo5

Yes Gustavomello, I haven't opened autocad for quite awhile myself. Trying to remember how the xrefs behave. Since they weren't sent to me with the file, I'm not sure how I am able to see them in the .dwg and then not when linked into Revit. They are currently xreffed as overlays.
Message 7 of 11
gustavomello

I tried to reproduce the issue here but couldn’t (when I copied the file without the xref to a new folder the xref disappeared from the main dwg). Also don’t know how you can see the xref if they didn’t send it with the main file.

Gustavo

Message 8 of 11
gustavomello

Can´t you bind the xref in Autocad since you can see it?
Message 9 of 11
vanderloo5

Here's the .dwg file. IS anyone else able to link it in Revit?
Message 10 of 11
vanderloo5

I give up. Can't add any attachments in this forum or delete my replies. For what it's worth, Autodesk subscription support advised that I do an EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command in auotcad. Then save that file as a dwg and try to link to it. Will do when I get a spare moment and report back. He was unable to reproduce the issue with then same file but says this happens occasionally.
Message 11 of 11
vanderloo5

THe solution was to audit, then purge the cad file. Then use the EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command, re-save, go into Revit and re-link the file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report