Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with stairs with more than one landing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
hrallen
4770 Views, 5 Replies

Issue with stairs with more than one landing

Hello everyone!

I've been searching for an answer to this issue for about 4 months now and maybe I'm not searching for the right keywords.

You can see from the images below that the railing to any stairs with more than one landing do not work right. I get an error when I draw the stairs in plan view because I draw the third and fourth flight over the first and second. Is this where I'm going wrong? The warning is "Highlighted lines overlap. Lines may not form closed loops."

I asked the professor who taught me Revit and she didn't have an answer for me and when I just asked another professor who used Revit in the felid, his answer was "Any tool in Revit that starts with an "S" sucks."

I hope that the images help to explain my issue better.

Stairs01.jpg

Stairs02.jpg

Stairs03.jpg

Stairs04.jpg

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: hrallen

You cannot have a stair or landing that overlaps another part of the same stair or landing.  Since you're working in sketch mode when creating a stair, you're working in 2D, so Revit doesn't know how to resolve the heights of particular lines in the sketch until you hit the big green checkmark (to finish the sketch).

What you'll have to do to create a stair that spans multiple stories, or that wraps back over itself, is to use multiple stairs. Whether you do that by setting the stair to repeat (as a stair tower) or by manually drawing each section of the stair is up to you, but as far as I know, those are your two options.  Also, some people use a simple floor as the overlapping landing, and just have their stairs go up to that.  I know my description leaves a lot to be desired in terms of an all-out explanation, but I believe if you do a search for multi-story stair or 3-segment stair, you'll find what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 6
hrallen
in reply to: rosskirby

Ah I see! I'll try these methods to see how they turn out. The railing was the only part that was bothering me so if I can get it to work in a reasonable amount of time (I'm working on a 52 story building) then I'll roll with it. A professor did tell me that I may not need the railing to be there since this is a hypothetical skyscraper and maybe none of our sections will be large enough for the raling to really matter. It could just clutter the sections.

Thanks so much for the help!

Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

Interesting story about the answers you got from your teachers. The first teacher said simply that she did not know. Nothing wrong with that. The second teacher gave you a very useless answer, just blaming the software for something that he does not know about. A well informed teacher would have given you about the same answer posted here by Rosskirby. That is the correct answer.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6
hrallen

I think he was trying to say he didn't know in a funny way to show that it wasnt just me who has frustration with some of the tools. He's new to my school's program which is different than what he was use to.

But, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Message 6 of 6
dtdesign

hrallen - I have a similar condition where I have a multi-story stair that goes from grade up to a second floor office within a shaft inside a construction vehicle repair garage - there is an additional main stair that connects the main level to a mezzanine and then to a second floor.  So, the second floor accesses both stairs but the mezzanine only accesses the mains stair.

The main stair, I just created from floor to floor - no big deal.  As for the multi-story stair tower - it was a 3-segment stair.  So, I created a level for the top of the second segment and then made the stair from grade to that second segment level.  I then built a straight-run stair from that landing level to the second floor.  I was able to get the 3-segment stair to work out by using two stair creation routines.

That was my solution - then I deleted the elevation level markers for the landing level - the building is existing so I did not need a view for that particular landing level..But, if it were new construction, you could keep the levels for your stair section drawings...

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report