Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to Void surfaces in Linked Files with imported Families?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sokcay
2496 Views, 4 Replies

Is it possible to Void surfaces in Linked Files with imported Families?

Hello,

I seek assistance!

I created a custom light fixture family in Revit 2014 and when I import it to a project with a linked file, the voided portion of the fixture does not cut the surface of the linked file. 

Please note that I took all the precautionary steps: I created the fixture as a generic face-based model to start. I voided the opening of the fixture in the family and used cut geometry in the family to void the area of the mounting surface that the fixture cuts through. I even checked the box that says cut with voids when loaded.

When I load the fixture into a live project (no linked file), the fixture cuts the mounting face just fine. Unfortunately, it does not want to cut the surface of the linked file. Is it even possible to do so? If not, what are some suggested best practices in order to deal with this situation?

Note that the situation involves me, the consultant, and x-architect, the client. I link their files into my project in order to easily monitor the changes the architect will make over time and so I dont mess anything up on their end. I will most likely need to do some renderings and definitely provide a lighting analysis with calculations. Would e-lum tools fix my problem perhaps?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SteveKStafford
in reply to: sokcay

Voids in your family won't cut linked elements in linked files. The fixture is hosted by the surface of the element in the link so if it's elevation is changed it should rise or fall with that change. It won't cut a hole in the ceiling though. Generally that it isn't an issue since everyone understands that light fixtures mounted in ceilings require a hole.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 5

What is considered best practice for creating families such as light fittings and switches, hung toilets, A/C grilles, signage that may need to be placed on walls, ceilings, floors, other objects or planes?

Is it to create them as Face-Based families, or could it be as a standard family that has its Work Plane-Based parameter ON and its Always Vertical parameter OFF?

Thanking you.

Message 4 of 5

Generally mimicking the content that Autodesk has provided is a safe bet. There are subtleties naturally. The way you and your office regard managing design changes will influence your perspective. I have worked with people that have decided to avoid using face based families in favor of Level Based families though they (the people) are the exception to the rule. To some degree fixing orphaned families (face based) is not that different from moving families (non-hosted,level based) into position when changes occcur. At times reconciling orphaned families is a bit more tedious. It depends on the extent of the change and how easily they can be rehosted or repositioned. Either way it is still takes effort to deal with changes.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 5
anthonyatpvh
in reply to: sokcay

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report