Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Revit Lt sufficient for us?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sbosse
3322 Views, 8 Replies

Is Revit Lt sufficient for us?

Hi,

I work for a small A/V consulting firm, and we constantly work with Arch and ID drawings in which we add our A/V devices on top of the given drawings. We currently use Autocad, but are considering getting Revit as well. My question is: There aren't many families of the devices we use available, so we are forced to create devices to drop in the drawings. Can we create objects and the associative meta data using Revit Lt and drop it in an existing Revit drawing, or does that require the Full version of Revit?

Thank you,
Sean

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Intecinfocom
in reply to: sbosse

what you are asking can be achieved in LT version.

however it is recommended to ask a Autodesk local reseller to come to your office for a demonstration.

then you'll be able to choose right product based on your requirements.

Message 3 of 9
bcarriere
in reply to: Intecinfocom

Can you elaborate more on how to use Revit LT to drop the A/V devices into Revit LT? How would you go about doing it?

Message 4 of 9
LisaDrago
in reply to: sbosse

The only differences between Revit and Revit LT is the collaboration tab and rendering. You cannot have more then one person working in a model in LT like you can in the full version, you cannot copy/monitor elements and you cannot render - but if you are on subscription you can render in the cloud.

You would be able to create all of your A/V equipment as components and build your library and put all the info you want about each one and schedule them too. 

But if you are a small firm like you mentioned then the collaboration is not a big issue and Revit LT should be fine.

I do agree you should get a local reseller to demonstrate this.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 5 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: LisaDrago

@LisaDrago wrote:

The only differences between Revit and Revit LT is the collaboration tab and rendering. ..

Actually, the list of differences between Revit LT and full Revit is longer than that, being Collaboration probably the most important of the features that are missing in Revit LT. Some other tools not included in LT are : In-place Models, Adaptive Components, Conceptual Massing, Parts and Assemblies, Trusses and Reinforcement, API programming, Third-party Add-ons, Stairs by sketch, View Filters, ...

This link contains a matrix of comparison between LT and full Revit:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/compare/index?siteID=123112&id=20336963

However, the list does not include all the differences. For example, the list says that both programs can do beams. Yes, but it does not say that Revit LT cannot do beam systems. So, there might be several of these other differences, not included on the list.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 9
bcarriere
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for pointing that out Alfredo.

There are a host of differences which is why I believe Revit LT should have it's own forum. Individuals using Revit are eager to help but have not used Revit LT extensively.

I am new to the Revit world and am trying to learn to create families and hit a wall because I can't figure out how to add electrical, duct, or any connectors to a family. I don't think you can, but I thought I'd try.

Message 7 of 9
LisaDrago
in reply to: bcarriere

Revit LT is specific for Architecture - so none of the connectors are available.

I have completed projects in Revit LT and have had no issues using it - but I was specifically  using it for Architecture - no MEP.

To get into the MEP side of things you would need to get Revit MEP or Revit from the Building Design Suite.

The focus of Revit LT is for the smaller companies that want to take the BIM step but do not need the whole beefy program.

Not being able to do in-place families is not an issue cause you can make a family and bring it in. Most of the companies I have worked for did not use the massing - so not an issue as well as the API... 

It really depends upon what your company does - getting a reseller involved will help you to make an informed choice of all the options that are available in both the full blown Revit and Revit LT.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 8 of 9
heterarch
in reply to: LisaDrago

This is an interesting and important topic..  I've worked for several years as an Architect using Revit on several projects, but recently started working at my family's Limestone fabrication business, where they're trying to adapt to the changes the construction industry is going through, especially including software (and especially BIM) as it relates to colaboration and communication.  We're a mid-sized business, with enough resources to be able to make the changes, though it will still be a challenge, and I'm sure that smaller businesses will have an even more difficult time. 

In any case, the real meta-issue here is that a wide swath of the construction industry does not necessarily benefit from the efficiencies built in to a software like Revit, but are/will being pushed to invest the time and money in learning and using the software in order to "stay on board".  I, personally, am a big fan or Revit (despite its many headaches), but even I have to admit that some of the guys in our drafting room could knock out a project by hand drafting (or simple CAD) as fast or faster than I could do it in Revit.  The software is great precisely because of how specifically tailored it is to Architects/Engineers, etc.  However, it's a square peg in a round hole for much of the rest of the industry.  I'm curious what the opinion / experience is of other small-to-mid-size fabricators / materials providers / consultants...

Message 9 of 9
heterarch
in reply to: heterarch

And another issue...  Not surprisingly (and I've been on both sides of this aisle, so I understand the forces at work...), many Architects we work with are hesitant to share their RVT models with us, which obviously severely limits the benefits and efficiencies available in the software for everyone involved.  So, on the one hand, we (and many other members of the construction industry) are told that we need to change our organization to integrate BIM, in order to contribute to greater efficiency and enhanced colaboration in the construction process, but we aren't necessarily given access to the benefits we're being asked to contribute towards...

Perhaps this will shake out be the better in the coming years, and regardless, we'll adapt and find a way to make it work, but it does feel like a bit of a "bait and switch"...  Thoughts?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report