Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported 3d DWG Model, Section not working

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Mitchel Stangl
686 Views, 12 Replies

Imported 3d DWG Model, Section not working

I have a 3d surface model from autoCAD which I imported into Revit. I can view it any view and control visibility of the orginal layers. All good.

My problem is that the level and section views do not work on the model. The view are created, but do not clip through the geometry. I'm hoping that my problem is a missing switch.

Revit looks great. I really want to use it to create drawings of my 3d models, and maybe use to model the architectual elements of my projects. Much of my work is industrial equipment.

Thanks

Mitchel stangl

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi Mitchel
Are you trying to use the autocad DWG for a reason otherwise would suggest you create Revit Terrain

Cheers Gerd
Message 3 of 13

I not talking about terrain. I model industrial plants and would like to use Revit to assist in modelling, but mainly to created drawings.

Please see the attached jpg of a typical model.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Mitchel Stangl

You must import AutoCAD ACIS solids into Revit (only 7.0. wont work in 6.1 or earlier) in order for them to be cut in section. 3D surfaces cannot be cut by Revit. "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message news:19941119.1099435292665.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have a 3d surface model from autoCAD which I imported into Revit. I can view it any view and control visibility of the orginal layers. All good. > > My problem is that the level and section views do not work on the model. The view are created, but do not clip through the geometry. I'm hoping that my problem is a missing switch. > > Revit looks great. I really want to use it to create drawings of my 3d models, and maybe use to model the architectual elements of my projects. Much of my work is industrial equipment. > > Thanks > > Mitchel stangl > > > Thanks
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

You should be able to import the solid into a generic family and then load it into the project... it will cut in section, etc. "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:4188795b$1_3@newsprd01... > You must import AutoCAD ACIS solids into Revit (only 7.0. wont work in 6.1 > or earlier) in order for them to be cut in section. 3D surfaces cannot be > cut by Revit. > > "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message > news:19941119.1099435292665.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >> I have a 3d surface model from autoCAD which I imported into Revit. I > can view it any view and control visibility of the orginal layers. All > good. >> >> My problem is that the level and section views do not work on the model. > The view are created, but do not clip through the geometry. I'm hoping > that my problem is a missing switch. >> >> Revit looks great. I really want to use it to create drawings of my 3d > models, and maybe use to model the architectual elements of my projects. > Much of my work is industrial equipment. >> >> Thanks >> >> Mitchel stangl >> >> >> Thanks > >
Message 6 of 13

So there is no hope for surface models?
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

As I said, import it into a Revit family and insert that into your Revit project. "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message news:26920469.1099490073387.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > So there is no hope for surface models?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

We do this with Sketchup! models all the time. Import it into an in-place family, and if it's in the right catagory (i.e. walls) it will get cut in section, even tho it's a surface model. Jeffrey Greg Cashen wrote: > As I said, import it into a Revit family and insert that into your Revit > project. > > > "Mitchel Stangl" wrote in message > news:26920469.1099490073387.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > >>So there is no hope for surface models? > > >
Message 9 of 13

These models are Sketchup models. I do not see how to import them into a family though.

I'm just exploring Revit for the first time now.

It would be great to talk about this with you. Is that possible

Thanks
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Sure! What you do is this: under the modeling design bar (the sliding thing on the left) at the bottom there is a button labeled 'create'. This allows you to make what's called an 'in-place' family. It's a custom family built in-place for one-off things within a project. So, you first click that tool, and then Revit asks you what category you want your new in-place family to be in. This is so Revit knows how to deal with what you're about to make. Give it the Wall category. Now you'll see the Design Bar change into the Family bar (again, the thing on the left). Here you could freeform model whatever you wanted, and Revit would think it a wall. But all you want to do at this point is import your Sketchup model, so simply go to File -> Import -> DWG/DXF/DGN on the menu, select the exported DXF/DWG from Sketchup, and then import it & place it (if you don't have the option set for it to be automatically placed or something). Now click 'finish' at the bottom of the Family Bar, and Revit will exit the Family Editor & return you to your project. Now you've got a DWG model 'wrapped' inside of this in-place wall family, and it will behave like a wall- i.e. get cut in section, plan, and be able to generate elevations. You can also now pick linework within & snap to this imported model to generate a 'real' building within Revit... Jeffrey McGrew Mitchel Stangl wrote: > These models are Sketchup models. I do not see how to import them into a family though. > > I'm just exploring Revit for the first time now. > > It would be great to talk about this with you. Is that possible > > Thanks
Message 11 of 13

So I can do this with a link, so that I can update the sketchup file and get it to update in Revit, like a XREF?

Thanks
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

> generate elevations. You can also now pick linework within & snap to > this imported model to generate a 'real' building within Revit... No Revit export filter for SketchUp, like there is for ADT?
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

DH wrote: >>generate elevations. You can also now pick linework within & snap to >>this imported model to generate a 'real' building within Revit... > > No Revit export filter for SketchUp, like there is for ADT? Do you mean can you export your Revit models to Sketchup? Because you can do that just by exporting a DXF out of Revit & bringing it into Sketchup. If you mean is there a tool that allow you to pull in a Sketchup model into Revit, then yes, you can import a Sketchup model into Revit. if you mean is there a tool that lets you then select things within the sketchup model and have them become your chosen Revit elements, then yes, you can do that too. But if you mean is there a tool that takes a Sketchup model and makes it a Revit Building automatically without intervention, then no, there isn't that. Jeffrey

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report