Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use host wall thickness in formula ?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MKEllis
3086 Views, 7 Replies

How to use host wall thickness in formula ?

I'm trying to use a formula in a family that requires the host wall thickness.

I've setup an instance reporting parameter (dimensioned to the host wall faces) - which works fine in reporting the correct value.

But when I try to use that variable in a formula, I keep getting the error:

"Instance Parameters can't be used in Type Parameter formulas."

Is there a way of getting the reported dimension as a Type rather than an Instance - or is there another work around ?

Thanks

Martin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MKFreiert
in reply to: MKEllis

you'll need to change the type parameter you're trying to drive to instance.

as the host may vary from instance to instance of the family, you can't have one type vary.

Message 3 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: MKFreiert

Thanks - it's kinda obvious when you say it like that. Sometimes you just need to step away to see things - It's working now.

Many thanks,

Martin

Message 4 of 8
MKFreiert

it's the "obvious" ones that really leave a dent in the wall 🙂
Message 5 of 8
mwrhalliday
in reply to: MKFreiert

Does anyone have a solution for when the family is face based?  All of out families are face based and I'd like to be able to adjust some parameters based on the thickness of the host (usually a wall or floor).  

Message 6 of 8
MKFreiert
in reply to: mwrhalliday

I'm not sure this would be viable for a face based family without the possibility of it not updating on many potential host faces.   you'd need to add a "thickenss" type parameter to *every* family that could (would) host the element.   e.g. if it's a countertop wire grommet and you want to include a top and bottom trim ring, --all of your model in place casework families, countertops, walls, maybe floors, etc would all need to contain the same parameter for the face based family to look at, or it would revert to it's default value when placed on a host that doesn't have that parameter.

it should't be impossible to do it with dynamo, but unless you're doing a lot of these, the back end to get that set up will take time or it's not going to be a trivial plug and play experience for users. 

if it's behavior that you need 90% on walls, and occasionally on other things, you could take your wall based family that's constrained to wall faces, and spin it off as a face based family (with the same tagging info) with an instance parameter for the non-wall uses. you'll need to schedule a bit differently, but from a workflow standpoint, as much as possible is automated, and the oddballs are as standard as possible.

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: mwrhalliday

What you can do is add a reference plane offset from the face in the family
to present an imaginary depth. Associate offset distance with a shared
instance parameter. After placing the family on a face in the project, use
align tool to align the reference plane to the back face of the host, then
lock the constraint. There, you can have the depth parameter reported in
your schedule.
Message 8 of 8
bimc32022esha

You can go to the 'edit family' and select the host wall. Once you select it you will see a wall type in the properties bar, just like how it happens when you select a wall in revit model. Once you pick the type, you can go and edit the wall thickness. Its the same process like how you change wall thickness in revit.

Hope it was clear!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report