Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show only structural layers for walls in floor plan views?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
uldisval
11196 Views, 9 Replies

How to show only structural layers for walls in floor plan views?

I'm just learning Revit Architecture and have faced the following problem:

As an exercise I'm trying to create a simple house plan from drawings in Revit. The problem is - in the drawings wall dimensions are shown only for wall core boundaries and non core layers are not taken into account and are not shown in floor plan view.

How can I hide/disable wall non core layers in plan views? And I how can I show dimensions just for wall core boundaries?

By googling I've found one possible solution - use two walls one behind another. First is just structural wall and second - just insulation. But then there is nightmare with Windows, doors and other elements that goes through walls.

Uldis

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ryan.duell
in reply to: uldisval

When you add dimensions in Revit, you have the options below:

Wall centerlines
Wall faces
Center of Core
Faces of Core

Even if you have the Detail Level set to Coarse [where the individual layers are not visible] the dimension line will still snap to the setting above you choose.  You can use the TAB key if you need to refine the point.

If you show the Detail Level at Coarse the individual wall layers will not be visible.

Also, if you did choose to create 2 walls [one structural and one finish], if you use Join Geometry between these two adjacent walls hosted elements such as doors / windows would automatically cut both walls.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 10
rosskirby

As Ryan said, you can't really hide specific components of a wall (i.e. finish vs. core/structure).  You would have to model it as separate walls, and while I understand that this may be the way you've done it in the past, it doesn't necessarily mean that you must continue to do it that way.  

If you put a note on your drawings that all dimensions are to structure, unless otherwise noted, and the finish layers still show up in your plans, are the drawings really any more confusing or any less buildable?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 10
will
in reply to: rosskirby

Yes, plans are significantly more confusing.  Again- this is a basic core function of cadd layered plans where one can isolate what is structural and what is not.  One more way that BIM insists on being inferior to manual coordination of a design.  And I recognize that this level of coordination is likely beyond the expertise of a firm like the Preston Partnership- but at some point, on every project this level of coordination is required.    And no, I don't think this issue is solved at all.

Message 5 of 10
ToanDN
in reply to: will

If you extended your research a bit more you would have realized that you could create parts from walls, isolate parts with structural material to show on structural plan.

Message 6 of 10
Corsten.Au

Are you looking for this type of setting.. Structural Wall separate to show.. and other normal views have finishes as well..Are you looking for this type of setting.. Structural Wall separate to show.. and other normal views have finishes as well..

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 7 of 10
sara018n
in reply to: Corsten.Au

yes how do you that ?

Message 8 of 10

That's exactly what I am trying to do. How do you do that?

Message 9 of 10

Hi

this post is solved. You may create a new query ( use my example image ) and probably I can answer and show you steps there.. ( unless you are happy with the current accepted solutions here )

posting and continuing in this post will keep notifying all the previous users which I don’t want ( though this message is gonna trigger that as well )

cheers

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 10 of 10
AntMc

Use Visibility/Graphics overrides 'Override Host Layers' 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Displaying-only-wall-cor...

Unfortunately doesn't hide Wall Sweeps.

Use Linework tool (set to <Invisible> to hide other lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report